Danish Name Frank

Startet af Karen Weiss, 11 Aug 2014 - 20:11

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Karen Weiss

My Danish g grandmother named a son Frank.  Is there an equivalant Danish name?  I'm thinking there isn't and wonder if the child was named after the father?  The father is unknown.

Thank you,
Karen Weiss

Anne Marie Holck

Frank is quite common, especially for people around 50 or a bit older. I think Frank was used a lot in the years after WWII. As per January 1st, 2008 more 11.000 are named Frank in Denmark.

Karen Weiss

This name was used in 1860's.  I don't think I've seen the name Frank in the old Danish records I've looked at.  Would Frank be used more in some area's of Denmark?  Just wondering as I do not know where my ggrandmother came from in Denmark.  Just grasping at other ideas. :-)

Thanks,
Karen

George Hawkins

My great grandfather's brother's son was named Frank. He was born in Esbjerg in 1925.

Ralph Rasmussen

Where and when was Frank born?  There may be a clue in the birth or baptism record.  My great grandmother with her Swedish (Skåne) background had a son Frank in 1880's Nebraska. 

Frank may have been a bit more common on the east side of the sound.

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Eva Morfiadakis

My grandmother's brother was named Frans.(He was Swedish with a Danish father). When he went to the US in 1916 his named was changed to Frank. It took me some time to realise this when I was looking for him in the US.

In the Swedish census 1890 there were 115 people called Frank and in 1900 the number was 422.

Eva M
Eva M

Karen Weiss

Frank was born in Racine either in 1864 or 1866 ( no birth record).  His marriage record indicates his father and mother are unknown.  I find that strange that his mother isn't listed.   I was lucky enough just to find his mother's death date at the cemetery.   And that was only on an index card.  We could not find where she was buried.  Bad records I guess.
So his name could have been Frans??   He did continue to live with his step-father, his sister & brother after his mother died.   Just a mystery not to be solved.  I didn't start family searching soon enough to talk to my grandparents about it.  That also goes for other questions in the family that will go unanswered.

Thank goodness for the great Danish records! :-)

Thanks,
Karen

Ivar Kjærgaard

Frank comes from Franciscus - anglo-american Francis - other derivates(?) Frands, Frantz.

K.r.
-ivar

Ralph Rasmussen

Not to give up yet.  With their soundex, 'sounds like', indexing, the Family Search website may lead to him in the 1870 and 1880 census.  That may also nail down the country of origin of his parents.

Perhaps more to the point, who was he living with then? And is his state or country of birth noted? Is anyone in the household other than those you named likely to have descendents who might have records going back to the 1870's or 1880's?

You may also have scoured the genealogical bulletin boards of the areas he lived in as a child and young man.

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø