Maren Hansdatter’s child - translation help please

Startet af David Madison, 14 Aug 2014 - 18:01

Forrige emne - Næste emne

David Madison

Hej,

I need your help with the baptism record of Maren Hansdatter's child: 15 Jan 1747 [2. p. Epiphany], Pedersker Sogn, Sønder Herred, Bornholm: Pedersker Sogn Kirkebog 1688-1764, opslag 241, and FamilySearch image 231a.

I have attached an image of the record for your use.

I think her child was uægte. 

Please transcribe the record in Danish and then translate into English.   

Thank you for your help!

Mvh,

David

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Lynn Christiansen

FamilySearch site https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-33462-444-99?cc=2078555&wc=M5VP-823:357517101,357736801,357840301,357840302

My input:
Dom: 2 p: Epip: hufde (?) Jacob Clausens Datter
Maren, et uægte barn til Daaben og kaldet
Anna Marie, og barnet af Rasmus Laursen
Hustrue Elisabeth; Fadderer Knut ..

Side note: fød uægte Pige

English:

On Sunday the 15th of January 1747,  ?? Jacob Clausens daughter Maren presented an illegitimate child for baptism and the child was named Anna Marie. the child was carried by Rasmus Laursens wife. The witnesses were: ...

The note in the left column indicates "birth of illegitimate girl"

I hope this helps...
Research Areas: Thisted, Aarhus, Viborg

David Madison

Hej Lynn,

I can generally decipher some of the words in the kirkebog entry.  Thanks for your help filling in the missing information for me.

Mvh,

David

David Madison

Hej Lynn,

I forgot to ask.  In cases like this, what was the Danish custom for the surname given to an illegitimate child?  Would it be her mother's or her grandfather's?

Thanks,

David

Ralph Rasmussen

At that time the child would be named after the given name of the putative father. 

As no father is mentioned here, there must have been a separate discipline/accounting of the mother's actions.

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

David Madison

Hej Ralph,

I do not understand what you mean by a separate accounting.  Where would the record appear?

I have come across this situation before with a family ancestor during patronymic naming who had three illegitimate children before marriage.  In that case since the children where not direct ancestors of mine I was not concerned what their surname was.  In that case the priest severely reprimanded the mother in the kirkebog entry.

Another case of illegitimacy with my family was after patronymic naming had ended.  In that case the child was given the family name [surname] of the mother since the father was unidentified. 

During the period of patronymic naming I would think there must have been a custom, perhaps not uniformly applied.  I would assume if the priest did not assign a surname at baptism, over time the community would.

Mvh,

David

Ralph Rasmussen

Sometimes there is a separate section for 'absolution', i.e. public discipline.  According to the table of contents for this register, any discipline is recorded in chronological order.  I haven't seen anything like that for Maren, or her 'introduction'.

If she lived until 1761, Anne Marie would have been confirmed in that or one of the next few years.  Something again in roughly chronological order.

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

David Madison

Hej Ralph,

Thank you for your comments.  I will do some more searching for Anna Marie.

With appreciation,

David