Maren Hansdatter’s public confession interpretation

Startet af David Madison, 19 Aug 2014 - 02:18

Forrige emne - Næste emne

David Madison

Hej,

My ancestor Maren Hansdatter had an illegitimate daughter.  She made a public confession in the church six months later: 9 Jul 1747, Skt. Peders Kirke, Sönder Herred, Bornholm:  Pedersker Sogn Kirkebog 1688-1764 [Ny udgave – New edition], opslag 233  [folio 240b]

I have attached an image of the entry for your review.

This is what I have transcribed and translated:

Dom: 6 p[ost]: Trinit: [Trinitatus] stod Maren Hansdatter aabenbar
Skrifte som udi Tydsk Holstein Vare
bleven besvangret af Johan Daniel Lud,,
vigsen

Sunday 6 after Trinity [9 Jul] stood Maren Hansdatter public confession as in German Holstein Had been made pregnant by Johan Daniel Ludvigsen 

I do not understand why the priest entered the comment "Tydsk Holstein" [German Holstein].  What is his message?   

Thanks for you review,

mvh,

David                                                   

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Ib Hansen

Hi,

Holsten/Holstein had a Danish duke I(the Danish king), but was a also connected to the German-Roman Union. At the same time Slesvig/Schleswig also had a Danish duke (the Danish king) and was more connected to Denmark.

Many regards
Ib

Ole Westermann

Hej David

In those days (and later) it was rather common, that young people (but especially from Jutland) took
a job on the farms in the Southern Jutland (Sønderjylland) or south to the existing border in Southern Schleswig
(Sydslesvig). These regions are often in the Danish church books incorrectly called 'Holsten/Holstein'.

Maren Hansdatter had probably taken a job there and had a love affair.

Searching on the name Ludvigsen/Ludwigsen in Sydslesvig in 1803 (the first available from the region)
comes up with 63 year old Johan Daniel Ludwigsen in
  Sydslesvig, Wiedingharde, Emmelsbüll, Osterdeich,72, FT-1803
Born ca 1740 it can of course not be him, but maybe his father ?

Med venlig hilsen
Ole

David Madison

Hej,

If I understand correctly, it is your understanding Maren's confession was about her physically being in Schleswig [Holstein] when she got pregnant, not that her confession was of a "German Holstein" type.

So perhaps my translation should replace the "as" with "was"  - NOT:  "stood Maren Hansdatter public confession as in German Holstein" rather: "stood Maren Hansdatter public confession, was in German Holstein"?

That would be constant with the intent of the entry as you describe it.

It had never occurred to me young people would be leaving the island of Bornholm and traveling all the way to Schleswig for employment. Quite an adventure in 1800!

I appreciate your thoughts,

David

Ole Westermann

I would turn it a little around in the translation:

Sunday 6 after Trinity [9 Jul] Maren Hansdatter, who in German Holstein had been
made pregnant by Johan Daniel Ludvigsen, stood public confession.

Maybe Maren knew someone from her family or among friends, who had been in 'German Holstein'
and liked it. The nature there is quite different from that on Bornholm.
And especially young people have always looked for adventures.

Ole

David Madison

Hej Ole,

Thanks for you comments.  I will use your suggestion.  I generally try to keep all the Dansk translations verbatim.  In this case I think a more fluid English translation is helpful.

Whenever my ancestors travel a distance from their home to a new "home" I am curious what the motivation was.  It was often driven by economy, however I am certain personal reasons were factors too. My great-grandmother traveled thousands of miles from the tiny island of Bornholm to a small community outside of Chicago, Illinois, USA in 1887.  Adventure, yes, however there must have been another motive.  There was obviously some reason why Maren went to Schleswig.  When I meet her I will have to ask - HA!

Mvh,

David