What does Løndahl mean

Startet af Paul Londahl-Smidt, 06 Sep 2014 - 18:13

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Paul Londahl-Smidt

My direct ancestor, Jørgen Simonsen, and his brother, Rasmus Simonsen, both living in Fåborg, Sallinge, Svendborg, adopted the name Løndahl sometime between 1750 and 1782.  My question is what does Løndahl mean?  Thanks for any ideas.

Med venlig hilsen
Paul

Niels Bjøreng

Løn today is an archaic word for a secret place.
Dahl or dal means valley, dale.

Venlig hilsen
Niels Bjøreng   9400

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hej Niels,

Mange tak for din Hjælp.

Med venlig hilsener fra USA
Paul

Inger Buchard

Or:
Løn is the name of a tree, = ahorn: lat. Acer pseudoplatanus quoting my Da-En dictionary

Inger
Redaktør på DIS-Wiki

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Mange tak Inger.  It seems the tree is a sycamore maple.  Now I have an idea as to what Løndahl means.

Med venlig hilsen
Paul

Niels Bjøreng

I think Inger's suggestion is perhaps the better one.

Hilsen
Niels

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Mange tak Niels.  Danish genealogy is so interesting.

Med venlig hilsen
Paul

Inge Nissen

Løn also means pay or wage - but I think tree is the right word here.

Inge

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Mange tak Inge.

Med venlig hilsen
Paul

Ralph Rasmussen

I have read that a gårdfæster might have the privilege of renaming himself or his fæste, with all of the vageries of folk etymology.  In a rolling countryside, a wooded glen could also be a bit secluded.

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hej Ralph,

Thanks for your input on this mystery.  It is really appreciated.

Med venlig hilsen
Paul

Flemming Willum Petersen

Hi Paul

Løndahl, also spelled Løndal is a danish place name.
A small village named Løndal is located near Silkeborg:

https://www.google.dk/maps/place/8740+L%C3%B8ndal/@56.0513502,9.5889239,15z/data=

And there is two danish farms named Løndal as well; one close to Silkeborg and one at Stevns.

I'll bet your ancestors have some kind of relation to one of these places.
Regarding the etymology of the place name, I think Inger Burchard is right.  
Forsker pt. i slægten Jog fra det sydvestlige Lolland. Dertil søges altid oplysninger om glarmestre/rakkere på Lolland og Sjælland.

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hej Flemming,

You might be right.  Although all the connections I have found so far are in Svendborg, Hillerslev and Fåborg but I know they were master masons, Rasmus Simonsen, who became Rasmus Simonsen Løndahl, was in charge of the building of Ærøskøbing church.  Perhaps he built something on Jylland and thus the name Løndahl.  Thanks for you ideas.

Med venlig hilsen
Paul

Eva Morfiadakis

Löndahl/Lönndahl is also a Swedish family name. Some soldiers have the name but also craftsmen like carpenters. The Swedish word lönn is maple in English.

Eva M
Eva M

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hej Eva,

Tusind tak.  Every bit of information I get helps me explore all avenues.

Med venlig hilsen
Paul

Bjørn Marcher

Hi Paul,

The name Løndahl is a typical example of a locality name (in contrast to a patronym) - so "the valley with maple trees". It probably existed in several places in Denmark, Sweden and Norway....

In some cases, a farmhouse was named after this - and thus the persons living there could then get it as a nickname - which gradually turned into a family name. Only the last 150 to 200 years, these names became fixed - before this, they could change in time.... 

Another route to the name is when you leave the place (then it becomes an origin name) - Imagine a Simon Rasmussen leaving the locality Løndahl and settling down in the city of Svendborg close to another guy Simon Rasmussen originally from the village of Brylle. To distinguish, one is called Simon Rasmussen (from) Løndahl and the other Simon Rasmussen of Brylle. Over the years this is shortened to Simon Løndahl and Simon Brylle.....

In 1904 or so, a namegiving law allowed danes to take a name as an official family name - simply to reduce the amount of patronym names. Many danes invented their own synthetic names, others took an old locality name which had been used generations ago and almost forgotten....

kind regards

Bjørn 
Bjørn Marcher
2670 Greve
www.bearfields.dk
Medlem af DIS-Danmark

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hej Bjørn,

Thank you so much for your explanation of names.  I think it must mean maple forest and came from a locality in or near Fåborg.  I think the mystery is solved.

Med venlig hilsener fra USA
Paul