Ared Andreasen Weidemann’s baptism record translation

Startet af David Madison, 16 Sep 2014 - 01:12

Forrige emne - Næste emne

David Madison

Hi,

I need your help with Ared Andreasen Weidemann's baptism record: 27 Sep 1696, Öster Marie Kirke, Öster Herred, Bornholm: Öster Marie Sogn Kirkebog 1687-1752 [Ny udgave  =  New Edition], opslag 88b

I have attached an image of the kirkebog entry for your use.

I am having particular difficulty with the spelling of the names.  It appears to be: Anders Veid + mands Søn Ared, which is unusual to me. Please transcribe the names as accurately as you can.

I would appreciate it if you would transcribe the Dansk record and then translate it into English. 

Thanks for your help with this record.

Mvh,

David

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Ole Westermann

Hej David

I read:

d 27 Sept. Anders Veidemands Søn Ared døbt,
Hannem* bar til Daaben Lisebet Peder Thords(ens). Faddere      *old word for 'ham'
Jørgen Kofod, Anders Jensøn, Claus Kiøller,
Marie Sørens Daatter, Zidsele Jens Hans(ens).

Sept. 27 Anders Veidemand's son Ared baptized,
Lisebet Peder Thordsen's carried him to the baptism. Witnesses
Jørgen Kofod, Anders Jensen, Claus Kiøller,
Marie Sørensdatter, Zidsel Jens Hansen's (wife).

mvh Ole

David Madison

Hej Ole,

Thank you for your help.

I see the name Zidsele Jens Hans.  I have another ancestor Zidsele [Sidsel, Zicile, Zicele, Ciizlia, Sidsele]  Mogensdatter (1676-1765).  I am curious if there was a "correct" spelling of the name at that time.  Since I have seen several spellings of the name in various records for Zidsele Mogensdatter I assume there was not. There is far more variety in the spelling of Zidsele than in other names.

Your thoughts?

Mvh,

David     

Ole Westermann

The name Sidsel in all its different ways of spelling derived from Cecilia, which comes from the Latin Caecilia
(name of a female saint (and a Roman aristocratic name)).

So I would say that Cecilia/Cecilie is the 'correct' way of spelling.
And all the other ways depend on the man with the pen!

mvh Ole

David Madison

Hej Ole,

Thanks for your interesting comments!

Mvh,

David