Karen Michelsdatter’s baptism translation

Startet af David Madison, 19 Sep 2014 - 20:51

Forrige emne - Næste emne

David Madison

Hej,

I need your help with Karen Michelsdatter's baptism redord 8 Dec 1696, Nexöe Kirke, Nexöe Sogn, Sönder Herred, Bornholm: Nexöe Sogn Kirkebog 1688-1756 [Ny udgave  =  New Edition], opslag 54

I have attached an image of the record for your use.  I think her record is a continuation of other baptisms on the same day, hers starting with: og Karen, Michel Anderss?

I would appreciate it if you would transcribe the Dansk record and then translate it into English.

With appreciation,

David

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Ole Westermann

David,

d 6. Dec. confirmeredis Ane Hans Daatters Barns Daab, som
tilforn var døbt og kaldet Karen, Michel Anders(en) udlagt til Barnefader.
Faddere: Friderich Storch, Eske Dich, Giertrud Erbrands? D., Giertrud Jens D.

On Dec. 6 was confirmed the baptism of Ane Hansdatter's child, who
formerly had been baptized and named Karen, Michel Andersen fathered the child.
Witnesses: Friderich Storch, Eske Dich, Giertrud Erbrands? D., Giertrud Jens D.

Med venlig hilsen
Ole

David Madison

Hej Ole,

Thanks for providing ALL of the information in this kirkebog entry.  Your results are very surprising!!

Mvh,

David

David Madison

Hej Ole,

Your translation states Karen "who formerly had been baptized".  I was curious to see if I could find an earlier record for a previous baptism.  I think it occurred on 5 December.  I would appreciate it if you would look at that entry - same opslag, etc.

If I am correct, why would the first baptism be on 5 December and the second only 3 days later on 8 December?  Or was the priest only confirming the first baptism in the 'second' entry which you translated?  Perhaps the first baptism was at home?  I do not know the custom of that time and it seems irrational.

Or, maybe I have the wrong record - HA!

Thanks for taking another look at this baptism.

Mvh,

David

Ralph Rasmussen

Home baptisms were routine in some parishes, only in emergencies in most parishes.  But they would be followed by a 'confirmation' at the baptismal font with a degree of pomp and circumstance and the traditional witnesses/sponsors. Some registers also have a separate record of the home baptism as this one does. 

That would be the time to publicise the putative father. 

On another occasion the mother and father would be publicly 'absolved'.  In this era you can probably find a record of that.

I read the other entry as:

D 5 Dec: Hiem͞edøbt Ane Hans Daatters
Uægte barn kaldet Karen.  Byfogden Michel
Anderss blev udlagt over Daaben til barne-
Fader ......... Rasmus Hans[ens] bar det.

On December 5, Ane Hansdatters illegitimate child was baptized Karen at home.  'Byfogden' Michel Andersen was named at the baptism as the father.  Rasmus Hansens wife ....... held the child. (usually means  'presented')

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Ole Westermann

It was Triniche Rasmus Hans(en's) who carried Karen at the baptism at home.

Ane Hansdatter made public confession Dom. Oculi 1697 (ops 55 right page).
And at ops.56 left  on April 29 is the burial of the putative father:
'Item Begravedis Byfogeden Michel Andersøn gammel 70. Aar ringer 6 Maaneder.'
Same day the 'city bailiff' Michel Andersøn was buried, 70 years less 6 months.
- An old father ! -

The reason for the baptism at home was the fear of early death of the newborn child, and it was important for
the parents, that the child at least shouldn't die un-baptized. So it was often performed same day or 1-2 days
after the birth.

mvh Ole

David Madison

Hej,

Thank you both for your additional research and interesting comments.  It makes genealogy fascinating!

I was able to find the kirkebog entries cited.  I had not know Karen's father's age.  This family story has an odd collection of pieces.  I will have to revisit the birth dates of Karen's siblings.  Perhaps her father wanted to have his children near his death so he wouldn't have to spend his life taking care of them - HA!

Mvh,

David