Please help me find records for Harry Sørensen - family were bakers in Brundby

Startet af Meredith Sarmento, 07 Okt 2014 - 03:36

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Meredith Sarmento

Hello,
I am trying to research my Danish family - my great-grandfather was Harry G. Sørensen (he probably changed his name when he immigrated). His obituary said he was a fourth generation baker, born in Copenhagen on 3 January 1902. He died on 8 March 1975 in Arroyo Grande, San Luis Obispo County, California, USA.
My father was adopted and I just recently found out about this.  Using Ancestry.com, U.S. Census records and newspapers in the United States I discovered that Harry was brought over to the United States in 1921 by his uncle, Marius August Georg Sørensen (b. 14 Apr 1876 in Brundby, d. 18 Dec 1973 in Santa Barbara, California) to help him run his bakery in Lompoc, California.
I used parish records for Tranejberg, Samso on the Danish Archives online to find the birth record for Marius. His parents were Søren Sørensen (Bager) (b. 26 Jan 1844 in Brundby, d. 26 Mar 1926 in Brundby) and Maren Jorgensen Kjaer (b. 2 Oct 1856, d. 7 Nov 1913 at St. Josefs Hospital in Kobenhaven).
With this information I found a family group sheet for Søren Sørensen at Samsoeroots.dk (http://www.kefotos.dk). The sheet lists the names of all the children of Søren Sørensen, but has nothing about their families so I do not know which child would be Harry's father. I contacted the owner of the database and she said it was probably the son from Søren Sørensen's first marriage to Margrethe Jorgensdatter (13 Jul 1844 - 5 Oct 1874), Hans Jorgen Søren Sørensen (b. 1 Oct 1874 in Brundby, d. 7 Feb 1933). I found his birth record in the parish book also using the Danish Archives online but I can not find anything about his wife or children.
I can find no immigration records in the United States for Harry G. Sørensen. I am sure this is because he changed his name (his uncle, Marius, changed his twice in the United States, once to Maurice and then again to Morris).  I am thinking the "G" may stand for Jorgen (Georg)??
I did find a record using the Danish archives from the 1921 census in Kobenhaven, Kobenhaven (stadt), Thorsvald (?) for a Harry Sørensen who was an apprentice baker but the date of birth was wrong (30 Aug 1902) and that Harry's father was Søren Peder Sørensen - no relation at all the the Sørensens of Brundby.
I would be deeply grateful for any assistance in solving this mystery. My father is getting older and he wishes to know about his birth family before it is too late.
Many thanks in advance for any help or advice,

Meredith Sarmento

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]