Interpretation of Kirkebøger Record

Startet af Don Roddy, 25 Okt 2014 - 20:07

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Don Roddy

Hej,
    I have recently found the record of my wife's grandmother's birth in the Ørum, Hassing,Thisted Kirkebøger for 1874~1891; Opslag 38, #5.   [Ane Kirstine Jensen].
    The person who recorded the birth identified Ane's mother as "Ugift Fruentimmer, Madsine Kristine Jensen....".  No name was given for Ane's father.
    I do not speak Danish, but Google's online translator translated "Fruentimmer" as "Prostitute"or "Harlot".    On the other hand,  Bing translates it simply as "woman".   I had never encountered the term used in an entry for an unmarried mother before, but the person keeping the records for Ørum Søgn seems to have identified almost all unmarried mothers as "Fruentimmer"  (two others on the same page).   Since Svindborg, the settlement where Ane was born, seems to have been such a small place, it seems strange that there should have been so many prostitutes there!
    I am wondering which translation is the most accurate, and if, perhaps, the use of the derogatory term may have reflected on the prejudices of the writer rather than the actual occupation of the woman.
   Also, please help with a translation of the comment after Madsine's age.
   Tak
   Don
   USA

Rune Stjernholm

Hi Don

Although I suppose theoretically the term 'fruentimmer' could have entered in the meaning prostitute, I think it would be more reasonable to assume that in this case, as in most cases, the term is used simply to describe a mother not lawfully married.

- - -

And as for your other question: Ingen Barnefader udlagt = No (Child)father given
Med venlig hilsen,

Rune Stjernholm
Vind pr. Holstebro

Ralph Rasmussen

In many parishes the mother of the first child out of wedlock is simply 'pige', girl.  If she has any other children outside of mariage she is 'fruentimmer', loose woman.  Of course some pastors were not even that charitable.

If the records in that era make the distinction, you will probably find more children of the same mother and may find them cared for by the same folks.

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Don Roddy