Help reading last name Oelsdatter or Axelsdatter

Startet af George Capton, 03 Nov 2014 - 22:57

Forrige emne - Næste emne

George Capton

Hi I would like some help reading the last name of Ann Marie

Hjorring. Horby census 1855 Landsogn page 09 line 55

the 1855 census on Dansk Demografisk Database says the name is  Anne Marie Olesdatter

but the wife of Niels Christian Jensen is Anne Marie Axelsdatter and the two children are Mette Marie,

and Anne Kirstine. Which name is right?

On the 1850 census it shows Niels Thomsen  with a wife named Anne Marie Olesdatter on the 1855

census Niels is a widower do you think that is why the name was spelled wrong  maybe Niels 

Thomsen wife's  name was used not Niels Jensen.

Maybe you will see something that I am missing.

Thanks George

Ib Hansen

Hi George,

Let us look at the easy part first:

Mette Marie and Anne Kirstrine are children of the tenants Niels Christian Jensen and Anne Marie Axelsdatter. The name her Olesdatter in 1855 must be a mistake.

If you look at the census in 1840 and 1850 you will se, that Niels Thomsen is married to Anne Marie Olesdatter.

Therefor you will also see in 1850, that Mette Marie is a foster child of Niels Thomsen and Anne Marie Olesdatter.

In 1855 Niels Christian and Anne Marie has returned to the farm, now as parents to Mette Marie and Anne Kirstine. Niels Thomsen is a widower. His wife Anne Marie Olesdatter is therefor dead between 1950 and 1855.

Conclusion: Accept the misspelling in 1855 - and you will find the logical "reason".

Many regards
Ib

Ralph Rasmussen

I agree that DDD got it wrong.  It used to be easier to see which results have been rechecked, and many had not been.

That is not quite to say that the original censuses are perfect.

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

George Capton

Hi Ib and Ralph
Thanks for you help. Also, you can see that Ann Marie Axelsdatter worked as a maid for Niels Thomsen and  Anne Marie Olesdatter in 1840 and 1845.

Thanks again George