Help reading birth record Rasmus Olesen b 1831 Grejs

Startet af Susanne Larson, 26 Nov 2014 - 05:05

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Susanne Larson

Hi I would love some help reading the following birth record and translating some census data.

The birth record is at Vejle, Nøvang, Grejs Parish records 1826-1836 Churchbook, Page 10, #4.

The name is Rasmus Olesen born 7 April 1831.

It looks like his father is Ole Rasmussen.

Then I found Rasmus in the Greis Bye, Grejs Census in 1834, 1840, 1845 but he is now living with the Thomas Christensen family as a Pleiesøn. 

In 1834 he is listed as the dattersøn of forstenaevnte - but I am not sure if that means of Thomas Christensen or of the "Insider of dagleier" Thomas Madsen who is directly above him in the listing.

Anyway, any help would be much appreciated.

Susanne

Ralph Rasmussen

The parents, Ole Rasmussen and Birthe Thomasdatter were married in December 1830, image 52 near the bottom - with a note that the marriage does actually belong to 1830.

That marriage record places Birthe's birth to 1808.  And she must be the daughter of gårdmand Thomas Christensen.  Mette Thomasdatter is among the witnesses at Rasmus Olesen's baptism, and appears in the 1834 census.

Neither of the parents appears among the 1831-1834 deaths in Grejs.

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Susanne Larson

Hi Ralph,

Thank you so much - that makes many things clearer. So I guess the question is did they both die or abandon their son and emigrate? I have no information on Ole Rassmussen.

But with your and Pam's help, I have gone very well today! Thank you.

http://trees.ancestry.com.au/tree/1845358/person/-687790745

Susanne

Inger Toudal

Hi Susanne,

I think the parents moved to Øster Snede parish:

Vejle, Nørvang, Øster Snede, Kragelund Bye, , 64, et hus, FT-1834, B6869
Name:     Age:     Marital status:       Pos. in household:       Occupation:       
Ole Rasmussen    33    Gift       træskomand    
Birthe Thomasdatter    25    Gift       hans kone

Marie Olesdatter    2    Ugift       deres datter

Vejle, Nørvang, Øster Snede, Kragelund Bye, et Huus, 36, FT-1840, C8703
Name:     Age:     Marital status:       Pos. in household:       Occupation:       
Ole Rasmusen    37    Gift       Huusmand, lewer af sin Jordlod    
Birte Thomasdatter    31    Gift       hans Kone

Marie Olesdatter    8    Ugift       deres Børn    
Thomas Olesen    6    Ugift       deres Børn    
Mads Olesen    4    Ugift       deres Børn    
Anton Olesen    2    Ugift       deres Børn

Vejle, Nørvang, Øster Snede, Kragelund, et Huus, 45, FT-1845, B6247
Name:     Age:     Marital status:       Pos. in household:       Occupation:       Birth place:
Ole Rasmusen    43    Gift       Huusmand, lever af sin Jordlod    Greis S., Veile A.
Birte Thomasdatter    36    Gift       hans Kone    Greis S., Veile A.

Marie Olesdatter    13    -       deres Børn    Greis S., Veile A.
Thomas Olesen    11    -       deres Børn    her i Sognet
Mads Olesen    9    -       deres Børn    her i Sognet
Anthon Olesen    7    -       deres Børn    her i Sognet
Peder Olesen    5    -       deres Børn    her i Sognet

Vejle, Nørvang, Øster Snede, Kragelund, et Huus, 60, FT-1850, D2795
Name:     Age:     Marital status:       Pos. in household:       Occupation:       Birth place:
Ole Rasmussen    48    Gift       Huusmand, lever af sin Jordlod    Sindberg S., Weile Amt
Birte Thomasdatter    43    Gift       hans Kone    Greis S., Weile Amt

Maren Olesdatter    18    Ugift       deres Børn    Do [ Greis S., Weile Amt]
Mads Olesen    14    Ugift       deres Børn    Her i Sognet [ Øster Snede]
Anthon Olesen    12    Ugift       deres Børn    Do [ Her i Sognet, Øster Snede]
Peder Olesen    10    Ugift       deres Børn    Do [ Her i Sognet, Øster Snede]

Vejle, Nørvang, Øster Snede, Kragelund Skoledistrikt, Kragelund By, Et Hus, 24, FT-1860, D6406
Ole Rasmussen    58    Gift    Husmand. Lever af sin Jordlod       Grejs Sogn, Vejle Amt
Birthe Thomasdatter    52    Gift    Hans Kone       Grejs Sogn, Vejle Amt

Peder Olesen    20    Ugift    Deres Søn. Klodsemager       Øster Snede Sogn, Vejle Amt

Vejle, Nørvang, Øster Snede, Kragelund, 1hus, 174, FT-1880, D4256
Berte Tomsensdatter    72    Enke    Husmoder og eier       Greis Sogn, Veile Amt
Berte Jacobsdatter    50    Ugift    lever af håndarbejde       Her i Sognet

In 1850 Rasmus Olesen is working as a farmhand in Øster Snede parish; in 1860 he's a servant in Vejle Købstad.

At the baptism of Maria Olesdatter in Dec. 1832, Mette Thomasdatter and Christen Thomsen of Grejs are among the witnesses, as is the case at the baptism of Rasmus in Apr. 1831 (Grejs 1826-1836, opslag 28).

Best regards,
Inger Toudal
Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal

Inger Toudal

Birthe Thomasdatter was baptized 9 Jul. 1809, parents Thomas Christensen and Maren Madsdatter.
Her confirmation 1824 is in Grejs 1814-1826 (ny), opslag 51.

Inger T.
Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal

Susanne Larson

Wow that is great.

Very interesting!  I still wonder why they left their son behind? Any theories?

Susanne

Inger Toudal

Maybe the parents didn't have the means to take care of 2 small children when they moved to Øster Snede
in 1833, and Rasmus was left behind with the grandparents? The parents were Indsiddere 'tenants'
(Grejs 1826-1836 (ny) opslag 86).

At the marriage in 1830, Ole Rasmussen is said to be af Holtum. It's probably the Ole Rasmusen i Holtum
confirmed 1816, born 4 Apr. 1802, parents Huusmand Rasmus Nielsen and Ane-Ca[t]rine Nielsdatter in Holtum.
(Grejs 1814-1826 (ny), opslag 41).

Vejle, Nørvang, Grejs, Holtum Bye, , 29, FT-1801, B8426
Name:     Age:     Marital status:       Pos. in household:       Occupation:
Rasmus Nielsen    46    Gift    Huusbonde    Husmand med jord    
Cathrine Nielsdatter    32    Gift    Hans kone

Niels Rasmussen    3    Ugift    Deres søn

Ole Rasmussen's sponsor/bondsman at the marriage in 1830 is Niels Rasmussen from Ulkjær (Ulkær in Sindbjerg parish), probably his brother.

Inger T.
Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal

Karen Greve Straarup

Hello!
I wonder, if you know that Rasmus' grandparents, Thomas Christensen and Maren Madsdatter owned the farm, Toftegaard i Grejs.
Maren Madsdatter was born at the farm as a daughter of Mads Thomsen and Mette Nielsdatter.
The buildings are still there, in the middle af Grejs. Mads Thomsen was a copyhold farmer, but bought it 11th of May 1793.
I have more information about that family.

Karen