"hængte sig selv og blev begravet i Stilhed"

Startet af Debra Roe, 07 Jan 2015 - 15:38

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Debra Roe

"hængte sig selv og blev begravet i Stilhed"

This was a remark found on a death record in 1852 Gram, Frøs, Haderslev.  There was no burial date.  Can someone explain the "buried in silence" and how it differs from a non-suicide burial in the mid 19th century?

Thank you for your time.
Debra Roe

Ole Westermann

Hi Debra

According to Danske Lov from 1683 a suicider could not be buried in the church or the cemetary, unless
he/she was sick or 'in rage'. If this latter was the case, the family could ask the diocesan authorities for
a burial in consecrated soil. And sometimes this was also allowed with the request, that bellringing and singing
was forbidden, i.e. 'in silence' (i stilhed).
Otherwise they were buried outside the cemetary or in a corner of this with 'unconsecrated' soil.
In 1866 this law was abolished, and suiciders got the same right to an honourable and ceremonious burial as
other people.

Best regards
Ole

Debra Roe

Thank you so much for the reply, Ole.  I guess I had read as much online when I googled it, but had never heard "buried in silence" before, so wasn't sure.  This death occurred in 1852 and had no burial date listed, so from what you wrote, I assume he was buried in unconsecrated ground with no bell ringing or singing. Is this correct? Or would we just be assuming?

Ole Westermann