Information wanted about Christian Hansen Arpe, born out of wedlock 1876

Startet af Mary Arpe, 12 Jan 2015 - 01:12

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Mary Arpe

I am looking for information about my grandfather, Christian Hansen Arpe, who was born in 1876. My understanding is that he was born out of wedlock, thus the name Arpe could be from his maternal or paternal side.  I have the following information from the 1890 census in Denmark: He was born in 1876 (we believe in February) in "Tirslund pr. Holsted.  The census lists the following information also ( and I assume this is related to where he was born, but it could be where the records are kept):  County- Odense; Hundred –Odense; Parish – Middlefart; Placename – Middlefart Kjobstad.  He is listed as being as being "katolik" which I understand was not common in Denmark.  His occupation is listed as a an apprentive saddlemaker. The census listed "Algade, forhus" as his "address" . The record number on the census is 234; the source information states: Optællingsliste 31.
    I also have following information about his move to the United States. He travelled to the US in 1891 on a ship called the Russia.  The trip left from Hamburg, Germany and apparently stopped in Le Havre.  It arrived in the US in the New York area November 1891. We believe he was accompanied by a woman named Marie Christiansen who was many years older than he was. The ship's information states his residence to Friedericia, Denmark.

Any help anyone could provide would be very appreciated.

Inger Buchard

He was born Feb 1 1879 in Brørup parish, Ribe county - you'll find the record at
http://www.sa.dk/content/dk/ao-forside/find_kirkeboger#
county: Ribe
parish: Brørup
Churchbook 1868-1884 opslag 18
Mother: unmarried Kirstine Marie Hjort, living at the farmer Jens P. Petersen in Tirslund. No father mentioned. Baptism in the lutheran church of Brørup

According to the census 1880 of Føvling, Ribe the mother ist still unmarried, working at a farm. The son is not in this household, nor is he found in county Ribe

Inger
Redaktør på DIS-Wiki

Inger Toudal

The census info from http://ddd.dda.dk/dddform_uk.asp :

All information on selected person
Source:    FT-1890
Name:    Chr. Hansen Arpe   Sex:    M
Occupation:    sadelmagerlerling   Birth place:    Tislund pr. Holsted
Parish:    Middelfart Købstad   District:    Vends
County:    Odense   Place name:    Middelfart Kjøbstad
Household-/family no:    1   Cadastre/address:    Algade, forhus
Religion:    katolik
Source entry no:    B0355   Record no.:    234

The original census at www.sa.dk/content/dk/ao-forside/find_folketallinger
Årgang: 1890
Stedbetegnelse: Købstad
Amt: Odense
Købstad: Middelfart
Gade: Algade
Opslag 35 - 36

His birth: http://www.sa.dk/content/dk/ao-forside/find_kirkeboger
Amt: Ribe
Herred: Malt
Sogn: Brørup
1868-1884, Opslag 17
1868-1884 (Ny udgave), Opslag 18

He was born 1 Feb. 1876. His mother was unmarried Kirstine Marie Hjort, staying with farmer Jens P. Pedersen in Tirslund. The father is not mentioned.

This could be the mother:

All persons in the household
Ribe, Malt, Føvling, Aabølling, En gaard, Nielsbygaard, 3, FT-1880, D4572
Name:     Age:     Marital status:       Position in household:       Occupation:       Birth place:
Jørgen Herman Madsen    40    Gift    Husfader, gaardeier       Føvling Sogn, Ribe Amt
Mette Madsen født Olling    35    Gift    Hans hustru       Slesvig
Maria Kjerstine Madsen    4    Ugift    Deres barn       Føvling Sogn, Ribe Amt
Hans Hansen Bech    29    Ugift    Tjenestefolk       Jernved Sogn, Ribe Amt
Lorens Larsen    64    Ugift    Tjenestefolk       Slesvig
Inger Kjestine Nielsen Bødtker    19    Ugift    Tjenestefolk       Gjørding Sogn, Ribe Amt
Kjerstine Maria Hjort    25    Ugift    Tjenestefolk       Læborg Sogn, Ribe Amt
Niels Kristiansen    27    Ugift    Gensdarm, ved grænse toldpolitiet       Jelling Sogn, Veile Amt
Herman J. Madsen    12    Ugift    Jørgen K. Madsens søn       Her i Sognet

Ribe, Anst, Lejrskov, Egholt, Gaard, 23, FT-1870, D4578
Name:     Age:     Marital status:       Position in household:       Occupation:       Birth place:
Jørgen Nielsen    31    Gift    Huusfader    Landmand, hovedperson    Lejrskov, Ribe
Mette Katrine Høien    27    Gift    Huusmoder    Kone    Høien, Veile
Karen Nielsen    3    Ugift    Barn    Forsørges af sidstnævnte forældre    Lejrskov, Ribe
Mette Marie Nielsen    1    Ugift    Barn    Forsørges af sidstnævnte forældre    Lejrskov, Ribe
Jens Peter Nielsen    19    Ugift    Tyende    Landmand, medhjælper    Veerst, Ribe
Kirstine Marie Hjort    15    Ugift    Tyende    Medhjælper    Læborg??, Ribe
Hans Hansen    22    Ugift    Tyende    Medhjælper    Lejrskov, Ribe

Ribe, Anst, Bække, Bekke Mark, et Huus, 65, FT-1860, C2770
Name:     Age:     Marital status:       Position in household:       Occupation:       Birth place:
Christian Hansen Hjort    42    Gift    Hmd, Huusfader       Seest Sogn Ribe Amt
Else Hansdatter    38    Gift    hans Hustru       Alslev Sogn Ribe Amt
Jens Ingesen Hjort    10    -    deres Børn       Læborg Sogn Ribe Amt
Hansine Kirstine Thomsen    7    -    deres Børn       Alslev Sogn Ribe Amt
Kirsten Marie Hjort    6    -    deres Børn       Læborg Sogn Ribe Amt
Niels Hjort    4    -    deres Børn       Her i Sognet [ Bække Sogn Ribe Amt ]

Best regards,
Inger Toudal
Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal

Otto Kjærgaard

There is only very few people in Denmark with the name Arpe, but in Brørup was in 1880 census there was a

Henrik Christian Arpe
male
age 33

Amt Ribe
Herred Malt
Sogn Brørup

born 1847
Fødested Pretz, Holsten

occupation Træskomager
unmarried

Familie nr. 151a
Matr.nr. 1 Gaard
Løbe nr. 962
Lutheraner

That might be the father.

Mary Arpe

Thank you all so much for all the help. I so appreciate all the information and it has gotten me much closer on my adventure to find my grandfather's information.

To the extent that you are aware of Danish protocol and customs at the time of my grandfather's birth, how likely is it that his biological birth father's name is Arpe? Would there be any other explanations for giving him that name.

Thanks much.

Mary Arpe

I am attaching what someone sent as baptism records, but not knowing Danish can not read well. Can anyone help?

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]