Translation help

Startet af Don Roddy, 24 Jan 2015 - 22:50

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Don Roddy

I need help translating two entries in the Villerslev Kirkebøger 1757~1814:

I am trying to determine the birth date, parents and grandparents of Anne (or Ane) Marie Nielsdatter who was born ca. 1799 in Villerslev, Hassing, Thisted.

I think I have found her birth on  18 January 1800 on Opslag 38 of the Villerslev Kirkebbøger.   I believe her mother was Anne Kirstine (or Kierstine) Larsdatter and it looks like her father was Niels Sørensen.

Can someone please confirm my conclusions and also translate the comments about Niels Sørensen.

In the same Kirkebøger on Opslag 28 (13 August 1782) I believe I have found the birth of Anne Kierstine Larsdatter.   It appears that abreviations were used for her parents' names (I hink her parents were Lars Christensen and Johane Jensen).

Can someone please translate the complete entry for me?

Mange Tak
    Don
    USA

Ralph Rasmussen

Particularly when the record may appear in Family Search's images, please 'amt, herred, sogn'.

My reading:

Jan 18 blev Anne Kirstine Lars Datters Pige-
Barn hiem͞edøbt og ved Daaben kaldt Anne Marie
Til Barnets Fader blev udlagt Ungkarl
Niels Sørensen fra Tobbel, National
Dragon ved det Jydske Dragon Regimente
i Randers. Leiermaalet er begaaet hos
Selveier Gaardmand Lars Toftedal i Willers-
lef Bÿe, og Daaben conf: Dom IV post Epiph:
Fadderne Anne Cathrine Poulsdr Hove, Lars Fost...,
Mads Mgnessen [sic], Lars Hove, Jens Hove.

Provisionally/emergency baptized January 18 an unspecified period after birth.
Conceived at Lars Toftedal's farm, with the baptism 'confirmed' or published fourth Sunday after Epiphany.

and:

10 Den 13 Aug: blef Laust Toftdal og Hustrue Johanne Jensdtr
I Will: deres Datter /: Anne Kierstine:/ døbt, Conf
29 Sept: b: af Maren Andersdt: fadd: Ane Kudsk, Niels Peder,
Jens uhrband, Stine Toftdal og Dorthe Nielsdtr.
[moderen] Int: 18de Trin:

August 13 Laust Toftdal and wife Johanne Jensdatter's daughter in Villerslev, Anne Kierstine was baptized, and it was confirmed September 29. Presented at the font by Maren Andersdatter.  Witnesses etc.  The mother was formally welcomed into the church on Trinity XVIII.

Laust/Lars may appear in the census as Lars Christensen - but Anne Kierstine Larsdatter of Villerslev first appears in the Hassing confirmation record for 1801.  How certain is the age of the one you need to find?

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Don Roddy

Hej Ralph,
    Thank you very much for your translation.   I apologize for not responding earlier.
    Concerning your question about the age of Anne Kierstine Larsdatter:
     I have identified my wife's 3X great grandparents as Jeppe Jensen and his wife, Ane (sic) Marie Nielsdatter, and I have tracked them in the censuses from FT-1834 through 1870.   Ane died in Ørum in 1875.
     Ane's age in 1834 and 1840 suggested she was born early in 1800 or during the last ten months of 1799.
     In 1845 she reported her age to be 46, suggesting she was born in 1799.   From 1845 through 1860 her reported age suggested birth in 1799.   In 1870 she reported she was 70 years old.  At the time of her death in March of 1875 she was75 years old.    So, documents consistently show her birth in 1799 or 1800.
     In most of the censuses Ane's place of birth is not particularly legible, but in FT-1860 it is clearly Villerslev søgn,Thisted Amt.

I searched for Ane Marie Neilsdatter in the Villerslev 1801 census, and the nearest name I could find was Anne (sic) Marie Nielsdatter, a two year old living with the Lars Christensen and Johane Jensdatter family.
     Remarks (I think) state that Anne Marie is the daughter of Anne Kierstine Larsdatter who was the 19 year old daughter of Lars and Johane.   [FT-1801: Thisted, Hassing, Villerslev; Opslag 6; 28th family].
     So, Anne Kierstine Larsdatter should have been born ca. 1782.

I am a little confused about Anne Kirstine's father's name in the church record; The 1801 census states that she is "their child" (i.e. Lars Christensen and Johane Jensdatter).   The Church record as you translate it shows the father as "Laust Toftdal".   You also say that he "may appear in the census as Lars Christensen".
I see that Lars could be an alternate name for Laust, but how do we get "Christensen" from "Toftdal"?

Hilsen,
      Don Roddy
        USA

Ralph Rasmussen

With all of the similar names, many Danes even in fairly recent times have had a tilnavn, roughly a 'handle' that everyone in their circle or community knew and used for them.  The difference is that after the first third of the nineteenth century you no longer find them as alternates in the censuses or, particularly, in  parish registers.

The name Toftdal is a place or farm name of that sort that did not become a formal family name in this family in the way that others did in the transition to fixed surnames.

I have read of a family in which one son retained his baptismal surname, another came in the public records to carry his father's surname, and a third took his father's tilnavn as his surname.

Two things about Ane/Anne:  They can be two different names.  But more often Ane is really Anne, written An͞e using the Latin abreviation convention, the bar or tilde. 

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Don Roddy

Thanks for the clarification and additional information, Ralph.
   Hilsen
   Don Roddy
       USA