Imigration to USA, Philadelfia, 1878 - Jørgen Jensen

Startet af Anne Messmann, 31 Jan 2015 - 13:16

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Anne Messmann

Can anyone please help to find my ancester who imigrated to USA 1878.
I'm pretty sure I found him here in the Danish emigrant-regestry:

Navn:    Jensen, Jørgen   Stilling:    Tyende (m. by)
Alder:    26   Bestemmelsessted:    Philadelphia
Kontrakt nr.:    197200   Forevisningsdato: 8/8/1878
Sidste oph.sogn:    København   Sidste oph. amt:    København
Sidste oph.sted:    Kjøbenh.   Bestemmelses land:    USA
Bestemmelses by: Philadelphia   Bestemmelses stat: Pennsylvania
Skibsnavn:    Indirekte      
IDkode:    I7879J2703

He was born 21/7-1851 in Denmark, Kirke Hyllinge, and travelled (as 'Indirekte' means)      
via Hamburg, Germany or maybe another European city (not Copenhagen). He was single.

I was told by famely that he later got a farm in Missoury, and marryed a swedish lady.

Can anyone help finding him and his famely - or how do I proceed?
Kind regards,
Anne Messsmann
Med venlig hilsen
Anne Messmann

Ellen Steen-Petersen

Hi Anne
The birth information fits with a family tree on Ancestry. (http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/15914399/person/359668333
If you do not have access to ancestry, the family tree has the following comment on Jørgen Jensen..:

Jorgen Jensen's daughter maintained a very large, handwritten family tree. She listed Jorgen Jensen's birth date as July 21, 1852; died April 16, 1918. ...
I have been unable to find Jorgen Jensen's birth record in the Danish archives. I do not know what town he was born in. He is a mystery to me, and I believe he was a mystery, pretty much, to his daughter, from what I've heard.

According to the family tree, he lived in Danielson, Meeker, Minnesota (Census 1900), where he marries Albertina Brown. She was born in Minnesota by swedish parents.

I have posted a link on the family tree to your message here.

Regards
Ellen

Anne Messmann

Hi Ellen!
Thanks for your replay :)

My ancester Jørgen Jensen was born 21/7-1851 in Kirke Hyllinge, Roskilde, Voldborg - you find the birthrecord here - it is no. 8: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-33446-2271-99?cc=2078555&wc=M5V2-GPL:357517901,358074601,358140201,358158301

His parrents was: Jens Nielsen, farmer at the "Hvidemosegaard" (1800-1857) and Maren Christiansdatter (1814-1895) - my great-grandparrents. I also have their parrents - and their parrents Again.

Unfortunately I'm unable to look in the tree (and do not want the 14 days free trial - it's hopeless to get out Again...). But maybe I can ask someone here to help me :)
- or maybe there is an e-mailaddres in the Family-tree, so I could write directly to the person?

I hope its the same Jørgen Jensen!

Kind regards,
Anne Messmann
Med venlig hilsen
Anne Messmann

Anne Messmann

Hi Again Ellen and others...

I found the entry in the 1900 census, page 1223-1224: https://archive.org/stream/12thcensusofpopu775unit#page/n633/mode/1up

His wife is here called Albertine Jensen, born aug. 1870 (but the father from Denmark?).
This could indeed be the right Jørgen Jensen. The date of the birth (21.7.) is correct, only the year differens 2 years. I have another ancester in my tree who imigrated to USA - he lyed himself 10 years younger!

This is really exiting :D

I do hope Ellen or someone here in Denmark can help with Ancestry-tree or an e-mailaddres!!

Kind regards,
Anne
Med venlig hilsen
Anne Messmann

Anne-Mette Filskov Snider

Hi Anne.

I'm on My Heritage. If you send me your email to annesnider@hotmail.com, I'll send them a message.

Anne

Anne Messmann

Hi Anne-Mette!
Thank's for your interest :)
I'm now allready in contact with a familymember, and he invited med to the Ancestry-famely-tree.
(But anyway I have to create an account, for a free trial at least, to see the tree).

Regards,
Anne Messmann
Med venlig hilsen
Anne Messmann

Anne Messmann

Hi Ellen,
Thank you for connecting me with the Jensen-famely on Ancestry! The owner allready wrote me in private, and we are now trying to work out, if my Jørgen Jensen is the right one...

Kind regards,
Anne
Med venlig hilsen
Anne Messmann

Anne Messmann

Recently I found out that you can order and pay online for a Deathcertificate from Minnesota Historical Society (only 9 dollar).
And as it turned out, it WAS the same Jørgen Jensen. His birthday was correct and furthermore his parrent's names and country (Denmark) :)

Anne
Med venlig hilsen
Anne Messmann