Help w identifying military uniform and/or records

Startet af Susanne Larson, 25 Feb 2015 - 06:01

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Susanne Larson

Hi - thanks to all for past help understanding Rasmus Olesen's life. I have now found a photo of him and would love any help fleshing out his life? What uniform is it? Was he serving somewhere? War anywhere? Any help with stories or where to look up records would be very helpful.

Born 7 Apr 1831 in Grejs Vejle to Ole Rasmussen and Birthe Thomasdatter
Brought up by grandparents then aunt.

1850 Census: Farmhand at Øster Snede, Nørvang, Vejle,
1860 census: Working as a servant on Petersholm property in the Vejle township for Terkild Hansen

About 1863 - Marriage to Ellen Marie Sorensen

1870 Census: Tirsbæk, Engum, Vejle, with wife, 4 kids

1871 - Leaves for Luck Wisconsin USA - for rest of his life....

Thanks very much!!
Susanne

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Ellen Steen-Petersen

Hi Susanne
I am not an expert on uniforms, but it looks to me as a standard army uniform (Infantry).
It is very likely he took part in the Danish-Germany war in 1864.
You can find more about this here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Schleswig_War

Regards,
Ellen

Ole Holst Petersen

Hi Susanne.

One thing is for sure: on the photo he is a private, but unfortunately we cannot see which Battalion he served, as his cap is half hidden on the table next to him. Normally there is fixed a number on the front of the cap right under the Danish cockade, telling the number of the Battalion.

A question: Is there a name and address of the photographer on the back of the photo? If so, it might give an idea of which town he was serving in.

The last thing I can think of in finding his military career is to find him in the conscription register (please ask somebody else of how to do that!) or in the registers of medals from both the First Schleswig War 1848-1850 (as he was about 19 years old and might have participated), and the Second Schleswig War 1864.

Good luck.
Venlig hilsen
Ole Holst Petersen
Alrø
8300 Odder

Ellen Steen-Petersen

Hi Susanne
In order to try to find him in the military register we need to know where he was in 1864.
You state that he is married 'about 1863' to Ellem Marie Sørensen.
To be more precise he is married in Engum on Nov. 6. 1863:

Churchrecord Engum, Hatting, Vejle. 1850-1871. Ny udgave. View 153.
1863 no. 8:
Ungkarl Rasmus Olesen, en søn af hsmd. Ole Rasmussen i Greis, tjenende på Thyrsbech [Tirsbæk]. 32 Aar gl.
Pigen Ellen Marie Sørensen, en datter af husmand Søren Pedersen i Jellinge, tjenestepige Thyrsbech. 27 Aar gl.
Forlovere: Gaardmand Hans Nielsen og Indsidder Jens Jakob Knudsen, Thyrsbech.
Viet: 6. Nov.

That indicates that he might be in the military records for Engum.

/Ellen

Susanne Larson

OK - thanks very much much I will start investigating further with this help.  Thanks for the wedding date.  I have found another photo - very similar. Again you can not see his hat.

Photo 1 is from
Sophus Jensen Photographier, Vimmelskaftet 45, Kjödbenhavn

Photo 2 is from:
P Christensen, M¨øntergade 36, Kjöbenhavn

So no help there.

Hmmmmmm

Otto Kjærgaard

It should be possible to follow him in the millitary records. I found him in 1832, when he was written in.

Vejle Hovedrulle 1832 lægd 61 opslag 244/449
løbenummer 175
F Ole Rasmussen
Rasmus

age 1 living at home in Grejs

Otto Kjærgaard

The correct answer was not løbenummer 175 but 173.

3 years later he is still i same lægd now 4 years old, now with new løbenumber 159

Vejle hovedrulle 1835 lægd 61 opslag 271/481

Otto Kjærgaard

In 1838 now Again as 7 years old same location new løbenummer 135

Opslag Vejle hovedrulle 1838 lægd 61  opslag 289/540

Otto Kjærgaard

In 1849 løbenummer is changed to 41 opslag 687/724 he is now 18years old and some information are added. I cant read it all.
see attached

His heigth was 66danish tommer thats 176cm.

Susanne Larson

Thank you very much Otto. Interesting. But is this a specific database? Do you have the link?

He was quite tall!

Med venlig hilsen,

Susanne

Otto Kjærgaard

Lægdsrulle is a list in which all (or most) boys were listed. They are online from 1789.
Its a good Tool if you want to follow males.
Unfortunately I cant find a English guide how to use them, they can be a bit tricky.

The last post I posted has some informations which might be usefull but since they used many abreviations and codes I cant tell what the meaning of that post is.

The link to Lægdsruller is here:
https://www.sa.dk/content/dk/ao-forside/find_lagdsruller

Inger Toudal

Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal

Otto Kjærgaard

Tak Inger, jeg vidste ikke, der fandtes information på engelsk.
Du kan vel ikke tyde teksten på den kopi af lægdsrullen jeg fandt. Der må være en, der kan hjælpe Susanne Larson, jeg er ikke selv så stærk i tydningen, men der står nogen oplysninger, som jeg tror fortæller, hvilken enhed, han har været ved.

Inger Toudal

I think the levy roll says:

Soldat 30/5 53, 6te Bat. 12/53.

Født 1831. Begjært Udskrivning, ... ?? Sept. 1853.

Info from http://bornholmphoto.dk/bo1920/index.html about the photographers:

Sophus Jensen had a studio in Vimmelskaftet 45, Copenhagen, ca. 1862 - ca. 1868 (p. 435).

P. Christensen had a studio in Møntergade 36, Copenhagen, ca. 1865 - ca. 1869 (p. 224).

Best regards,
Inger T.
Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal