Kjær/Pedersen/Simonsen Ancestors

Startet af Charles Smith, 15 Mar 2015 - 23:42

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Charles Smith

I have the following Danish grandparents and was hoping to locate possible cousins living in Denmark.

Jens Kristian Kjær or Jens Kristian Kjær Pedersen - Born October 8, 1883 (taken from WW1 Draft Registration) possibly in Ribe or the surrounding area and he came to the United States in about 1905. He's said to have jumped ship, so he may not show up in emigration records. Went by the name Frank Petersen in the United States and lived in Kansas City and died in 1960.

Hans Nielsen Simonsen - Born March 9, 1854 (not sure where these dates comes from) and married Christine in about 1880. They emigrated to the United States in 1884. They had two daughters born in Denmark and two daughters and a son born in the United States. Hans lived mainly in Kansas City and died in 1932. Hans' parents were Niels Hansen Simonsen and Anna Kiestina Tistrup.

Christine Marie Pedersen (not related to Jens) - Born July 27, 1853 possibly in Ringkobing and died in 1932 or 1933. Christine's parents were Peder Madsen Hedegaard and Ingeborg Simonsdatter who appear to have been married for only a short time and divorced. Christine appears to have been only child of Ingeborg, though not known if Peder may have had other children.

This combination of grandparents makes my lineage 3/8ths Danish. Cousins that I may have by Jens above might be as close as 2nd cousins and those by Hans/Christine would be more distant. I have a family tree at ancestry.com and have also done the DNA testing at ancestryDNA.com. Any information is appreciated and suggestions are welcome. Thank you.
Charles Smith

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hi Charles,

Could your Christine Marie Pedersen be Mette Christine Pedersen born 27 Jul 1853 in Borris, Bølling, Ringkøbing, opslag 30 nr 6, parents Peder Madsen Hedegaard and Ingeborg Simonsdatter.

Here they are in the 1855 census.                                                                                                              All persons in the household

Ringkøbing, Bølling, Sønder Borris, Agger, Et huus, 5, FT-1855, D3743
Name:     Age:     Marital status:       Position in household:       Occupation:       Birth place:
Peder Madsen    60    Gift    Inderste, huusfader       Bølling, Ringkb. Amt
Ingeborg Simonsdatter    43    Gift    Hans kone       Holmsland, Ringkjøbing Amt
Mette Christine Pedersdatter    2    Ugift    Deres datter       Her i Sognet

Ingeborg and Mette and Mette's half sister in the 1870 census.  All persons in the household

Ringkøbing, Bølling, Sønder Borris, Gaasdal distrikt, Et huus, 18, FT-1870, D3751
Name:     Age:     Marital status:       Position in household:       Occupation:       Birth place:
Ingeborg Simonsen    57    Enke    Huusmoder    Jordbruger    Nye S., Hl., Ringk. A.
Ane Kirstine Simonsen    20    Ugift    Hendes børn       Bølling S., Ringk. A.
Mette Christine Pedersen    16    Ugift    Hendes børn       Borris S., Ringk. A.

Ane Christine Andresen was born 13 Apr 1849 in Bølling, Bølling, Ringkøbing, opslag 30 nr 3, parents unmarried Ingeborg Simonsdatter and alleged father Andreas Jørgensen of Dalager.

Sincerely,
Paul

Charles Smith

Thank you Paul, I will note the half-sister.

Charles Smith

Citat fra: Charles Smith [47702] Dato 15 Mar 2015 - 23:42
I have the following Danish grandparents and was hoping to locate possible cousins living in Denmark.

Jens Kristian Kjær or Jens Kristian Kjær Pedersen - Born October 8, 1883 (taken from WW1 Draft Registration) possibly in Ribe or the surrounding area and he came to the United States in about 1905. He's said to have jumped ship, so he may not show up in emigration records. Went by the name Frank Petersen in the United States and lived in Kansas City and died in 1960.

Hans Nielsen Simonsen - Born March 9, 1854 in Bjerning and married Christine in about 1880. They emigrated to the United States in 1884. They had two daughters born in Denmark and two daughters and a son born in the United States. Hans lived mainly in Kansas City and died in 1932. Hans' parents were Niels Hansen Simonsen and Anna Kiestina Tistrup.

Christine Marie Pedersen (not related to Jens) - Born July 27, 1853 possibly in Ringkobing and died in 1932 or 1933. Christine's parents were Peder Madsen Hedegaard and Ingeborg Simonsdatter who appear to have been married for only a short time and divorced. Christine appears to have been only child of Ingeborg, though not known if Peder may have had other children.

This combination of grandparents makes my lineage 3/8ths Danish. Cousins that I may have by Jens above might be as close as 2nd cousins and those by Hans/Christine would be more distant. I have a family tree at ancestry.com and have also done the DNA testing at ancestryDNA.com. Any information is appreciated and suggestions are welcome. Thank you.
Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Hans Nielsen Simonsen born in Bjerning.

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hi Charles,

If your Jens Christian Pedersen was listed in the WWI draft registration for Council Bluffs, Nebraska, he was born 8 Sep 1883 and not 8 Oct 1883.  There was a Jens Kjær Pedersen born 8 Sep 1883 in Vejrup, Gørding, Ribe, opslag 27 nr 8, parents Peder Pedersen and Mette Marie Lauridsen, age 42.

Sincerely,
Paul

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hi Charles,

Here is Mette Marie Lauridsen with parents and siblings in the 1845 census.  All persons in the household

Ribe, Gørding, Vejrup, Sønder og Nørre Griisbæk, en Gaard, 52, FT-1845, B8235
Laurids Jensen    43    Gift       Gaardmand    Her i Sognet
Kirsten Thomsen    38    Gift       hans kone    Faaborg Sogn, Ribe Amt
Jens Lauridsen    11    Ugift       Deres Børn    Her i Sognet
Jacob Peter Lauridsen    9    Ugift       Deres Børn    Her i Sognet
Thomas Lauridsen    7    Ugift       Deres Børn    Her i Sognet
Mette Marie Lauridsen    4    Ugift       Deres Børn    Her i Sognet
Kirsten Marie Lauridsen    2    Ugift       Deres Børn    Her i Sognet
Mette Marie Christensen    73    Enke       Aftægtskone    Aastrup Sogn, Ribe Amt

Paul

Charles Smith

Paul,
The record I was going off of was for Frank Petersen of Kansas City, Kansas. Where did you come up with the parent information and the matching birthdate? Ribe may be incorrect for Jens I am looking for. Thanks. Charles

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hi Charles,

I looked at the transcribed censuses for Ribe using Kjær and came up with Jens born circa 1883 with the birthplace of Vejrup.  I then went to the church records for Vejrup and found him.

Sincerely,
Paul

Charles Smith

Paul,
Would you have access to birthdates for the Jens Kjær's listed at the following two links?

http://www.danishfamilysearch.com/cid12230372

http://www.danishfamilysearch.com/cid12513431

I have a Oct 8, 1883 birthdate from the WW1 records as well as an 1882 birthdate on his gravestone. Thank you.
Charles Smith

John Wrenholt

The first one was born on April 18th, 1883.

The second one was born on October 8, 1881 (1863-1891 Havbro, Aars, Aalborg ops 22).  Right date but wrong year. Could definitely be the Jens Kristian Kjær that you're looking for.

Here he is in the 1901 census:
Aalborg, Gislum, Farsø, Fandrup, 5a, 209, FT-1901, D4265
Name:    Age:    Marital status:    Position in household:    Occupation:    Birth place:
Niels Nielsen   14-4-1856   Gift   husfader   gaardejer, landbruger   Fandrup, Farsø Sogn, Aalborg Amt
Maren Nielsen Kristensen   14-3-1864   Gift   husmoder   husgjerning   Fandrup, Farsø Sogn, Aalborg Amt
Kresten Larsen Nielsen   5-5-1891   Ugift   barn      Fandrup, Farsø Sogn, Aalborg Amt
Ane Nielsen   14-7-1892   Ugift   barn      Fandrup, Farsø Sogn, Aalborg Amt
Kristiane Nielsen   12-12-1897   Ugift   barn      Fandrup, Farsø Sogn, Aalborg Amt
Ane Larsen født Jensdatter   12-12-1897   Ugift   aftægtskone      Blære Sogn, Aalborg Amt
Jens Kr Kjær   8-11-1881   Ugift   tjenestekarl      Havbro Sogn, Aalborg Amt
Niels Kr Larsen   10-10-1884   Ugift   tjenestekarl      Farsø Sogn, Aalborg Amt
Kirsten Marie Jensen   2-6-1881   Ugift   tjenestepige      Fragtrup, Farsø Sogn, Aalborg Amt

Charles Smith

John,
You note October 8, 1881, but the record says 8 Nov 1881. Is Oct 8 a typo or are you getting that from a different source? Thank you. Charles

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hi Charles,

From the church record Jens Kristian Kjær was born 8 Oct 1881, Havbro, Års, Ålborg, opslag 21 nr 8, parents Søren Kristian Kjær and Else Marie Larsen, age 24.

Sincerely,
Paul

Charles Smith

Thank you Paul and John, I am inclined to think that 1881 is correct and the year I had is incorrect.

Charles