Aage Eduard Møller -- 1890 Copenhagen Census

Startet af Wayne Johnson, 17 Mar 2015 - 19:21

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Wayne Johnson

Citat fra: Ellen Steen-Petersen [11355] Dato 17 Mar 2015 - 21:25
Hi again - Wayne

Sorry, there is 2 Aage Eduard Møller - the other one fits better:

http://www.politietsregisterblade.dk/component/sfup/?controller=politregisterblade&task=viewRegisterblad&id=2105417&searchname=polit_adv

/Ellen

Hi,

I was just reviewing earlier responses, and have a question about the Police report which turned out to be recording Aage Eduard coming to Copenhagen, not departing from it. Obviously, that document was the one that got me started, and is much better reproduced herein; I see there is an abbreviated city listed in the Fodested (Spelling?), looks like Copenhagen; also, regarding the notation that he arrived ("fra") from Christiana, or is from there?  Is he at Vesterbrogode?  I'm confused (not unusual I guess); is the Jensen name meaningful?

I do remain convinced that Peter Rasmussen Møllehoj is our man, given the ages, the profession, the destination and the Rasmussen connection; i.e., that is who he went to live with, and immediately go to work as a butter-maker.  The 1895 vs. 1900 Census-taker use of "Jewell Junction," as differently recorded than Ellsworth (1895) is not a problem as they are so close -- 2 - 3 Kms, and the 1895 Census was state-sponsored, while the 1900 Census was a Federal Census; the Møllehoj reference in his departure to "Jewell Junction" corresponds with the 1889 departure records to "Jewell Junction" of the Rasmus Rasmussen family.  Of course, that was the family he was living with, and working for (?) in 1895.  The other two "Peter Millers" who had arrived in Hamilton County, Iowa in 1871 apparently had Rasmussen family connections as well, e.g., living with them.

Wayne Johnson

Citat fra: Ellen Steen-Petersen [11355] Dato 21 Mar 2015 - 17:33
Hi Wayne
Møllehøj means 'Mill-hill' or the hill with a mill on it.
Here is one of the location: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%B8lleh%C3%B8j.
Unfortunately, a windmill was often placed on a hill - so there is quite a few locations with that name.

It makes sense to look in parishes with a location called Møllehøj as families were often name after the location they lived at or near. Due to the Danish naming tradition there would often be several people with the same name in a village - so in order to separate one from another, they were also called by their location, although this wasn't a part of the formal name before in the late 1800-century.
In this case: Peter Rasmussen from the Mill hill - or Peter Rasmussen Møllehøj.
The name was often carried by generations even if they moved away from the location.

/Ellen

Thanks Ellen, so it does make good sense, the same was the case in Norway -- my great-grand parents did not use the Danielsen Surname when the departed for the US in 1869, they used as their surnames Vøg or (Waag).  And in Germany -- the wife's maiden name was Obländer, meaning Oberlander -- i.e., coming from the hills or mountains.  You talk about a time-consuming effort checking departure records!!!!

Regards, Wayne

Wayne Johnson

Citat fra: Ellen Steen-Petersen [11355] Dato 21 Mar 2015 - 17:33
Hi Wayne
Møllehøj means 'Mill-hill' or the hill with a mill on it.
Here is one of the location: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%B8lleh%C3%B8j.
Unfortunately, a windmill was often placed on a hill - so there is quite a few locations with that name.

It makes sense to look in parishes with a location called Møllehøj as families were often name after the location they lived at or near. Due to the Danish naming tradition there would often be several people with the same name in a village - so in order to separate one from another, they were also called by their location, although this wasn't a part of the formal name before in the late 1800-century.
In this case: Peter Rasmussen from the Mill hill - or Peter Rasmussen Møllehøj.
The name was often carried by generations even if they moved away from the location.

/Ellen

Hi Ellen,

Considering Scandinavian naming patterns I am aware from my earlier genealogy research in Denmark, Sweden and Norway, I wonder whether the naming of my mother -- Peter Miller's First Born in June 1898, might provide a potential lead if records on a potential Peter are ultimately found that can't otherwise be associated with him, such as a name of a grandmother, a favorite aunt, etc.  Admittedly a shot in the dark; mother was named: Emma Pauline Frederica Miller.  The second girl born was simply named: Cora, later expanded to Corrine; he fathered six girls, no sons.

Regards, Wayne

Wayne Johnson

Hi,

Now that we have apparently hit some walls, I'm going to try using an assumption, that Peter Rasmussen Mollehoj knew (was related to?) the Rasmus Rasmussen family he was leaving Denmark to live and work with in 1894.  The departure record shows "Jewell Junction," where the Rasmussen is located, as his destination.  That seems to be more than just a coincidence.  Given that we have no confirmable birthplace for Peter, the question arises whether we can safely assume that he may have been born in the area of the the Rasmus Rasmussen family, who left Denmark in 1889 for Jewell Junction, Ellsworth Township, Hamilton County, Iowa.
Based on the Rasmus Rasmussen Family records created when they left, we know Rasmus was born in Hornum in 1834; his wife Karen Marie Poulsen , was born in Skjol, in 1833.  Based on the their children's records, we know they continued living in Hornum, as Rasmine Johanne was born there in 1869; Anton Rasmussen was born 31 May 1871 in Horning, Hornum; was schooled in Bjerge, Denmark (from his 1949 Obituary).  Anton was listed as "Head of Household" (a farmer) in the 1900 Federal Census; his parents were living with him.  His Obituary indicated that he was a farmer in the Jewell Junction area until he retired in 1934, except for "... seven years when he was in the creamery business;" it's unknown if he only ran it, or was himself a trained butter-maker as well.
Obviously, Peter Rasmussen Mollehoj did not go to that Rasmussen farm (creamery) in May 1894, as he went to, and lived with Steven Nelson – "Head of Household," whose wife was named "Mine (Minne)," more than likely she was Rasmine Johanne Rasmussen  – name and age matches;  daughter of Rasmus and Karen Marie, who lived there as well with son Anton Rasmussen.
My Peter appears to begun working in his trade immediately upon arriving, as by mid-1895 he had been acknowledged for making "Best Butter" (lowest butter fat) by a multistate creamery association, an award I saw while researching "buttermakers" in trade magazines in 2002 or 2003, the article showed him as being in Ellsworth, Iowa.  (I did not keep a copy as it had been insisted by a family member that he had arrived in Minnesota directly from Denmark.)  Peter Miller left for Stearns County, Minnesota in the fall or winter of 1895, as he took over a creamery there in March 1896.
Between the 1895 Iowa State Census, and the 1900 Federal Census, Rasmus and Karen had moved on with Anton, from the Steven Nelson farm,  establishing their own farm, as that is where they appear in 1900, with Anton designated "Head of Household."  It was reportedly close by, but north of Ellsworth.
Regards, Wayne

Wayne Johnson

Hi,

It appears that after three weeks of trying just about everything there is to try, it now appears to be the case that my dear old Peter Rasmussen Møllehøj is not to be found.  I want to thank everyone who assisted, i.e., who expended valuable time trying to find a person who appears to not be findable.  You all gave me outstanding help, but, like our last effort in 2012 (chasing Peter Madsen Marius Møller in Copenhagen, who ended up having lived on in Copenhagen, never leaving), my Peter Miller is apparently not to be found.

Thank you al so much.  Wayne S. Johnson