Help with translation and locating a parish

Startet af Janice Simpson, 11 Apr 2015 - 04:51

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Janice Simpson

1882-1892, Rønnebæk, Hammer, Præstø, Ops. 20, the second entry in 1889.

02 Feb 1889, the birth and christening record for Hans Peter Christensen.  It says he was christened in the Forslev Church.  His mother, Karen Sofie Hansen was born and grew up in Rønnebæk but appears to have been a resident of Forslev at the time of his birth.

I have not been able to find a Forslev sogen.  There is also a remark concerning the mother in the far right column of the entry which I cannot read.  I would like to know what it says (in English please) and also would like to find the original Forslev record.

Thanks in advance for any help this forum might be able to offer. 

Ralph Rasmussen

This is a memo entry, as the child was conceived at Rønnebæksholm, and will potentially receive care or support from Rønnebæk parish.  The remark spells out the reason it is noted here.

Born February 2, 1889, baptized February 24 at Førslev, Øster Flakkeberg herred, Sorø amt.  The mother unmarried Karen Sofie Hansen of Førslev, the father 'dragon' [soldier, I take it to be cavalryman] Hans Peter Christensen of Stokkemarke in Maribo amt. 

The corresponding parish record is not loading at the moment:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1961-33580-18526-48?cc=2078555&wc=M5KP-RMH:357516501,359502701,359583601,357699601#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecapi%2Fsord%2Fwaypoint%2FM5KP-RMH%3A357516501%2C359502701%2C359583601%2C357699601%3Fcc%3D2078555%261%26leaf%3Dtrue

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Ralph Rasmussen

The Førslev entry here:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-33580-19051-79?cc=2078555&wc=M5KP-RMH:357516501,359502701,359583601,357699601

This adds the mother's age as 25, and the witnesses/sponsors:  Laborer Jørgen Pedersen's wife of Førslev, miss Karoline Svendsen of Harrested, laborer Jørgen Pedersen, farm worker Anders Pedersen of Harreslev, Bachelor Rasmus Hansen of Rønnebæk

Stokkemarke is in Lolland Sønder herred.

Even this late, the parents may have their last name after their father's first name, although the transition was supposed to happen as early as 1820.

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen

Janice Simpson

Ralph, thanks so much.  I would never have found that record.  I know about the 10 month rule for parish support but didn't relate the remark to it so thanks for that too.

The link did open for me and, of course, brings up more questions.  I would like to have a translation of the section that names the parents.  I'm especially curious about this part:  "Temaane-derodagen forced tjente paa Rønnebæksholm".  I think the last part says servant from Rønnebæksholm but I don't understand the first part.

Also, I'm guessing that the remark in the last column of this entry has to do with informing the Rønnebæk parish that they are financially responsible.

Finally, what was the law or custom regarding a child's surname when the parents did not marry?  Karen Sofie had a daughter born at Den Kgl. Fodelsstifte on 30 Jul 1895.  1891-1896, Ops.204.  This child was named Dagmar Marie Pedersen.  No information was given about the father.  At that time Karen Sofie was a night shift nurse at St. John's hospital in Københaven.

In 1900, Sofie, her children (Hans Peter and Dagmar Marie) and her sister Ane Hansen left Denmark and took up residence in Minnesota where they had brothers.  I have a lot of information from the immigration forward but am still trying to piece together her life between Rønnebæk and the departure for the USA.

Again, thanks for the help.  I so appreciate this forum.

Ralph Rasmussen

The phrase is 'Timaanedersdagen forud [before] tjente paa Rønnebæksholm'.  Ergo, a note sent to Rønnebæk parish.  A child was most often named after the putative father.  At some point that required the father's permission, and if not given the child received the mother's surname. 

Karen Sophie should have been confirmed in Førslev ca. 1878.  You should find her in the 1880 and 1890 censuses for the respective amt.  The 'registerblad' from Copenhagen may fill a bit in from the following years.

If you don't already have Karen Sophie's birth record, look for it in Førslev in 1864.

If they are transcribed, look for the census records here:  http://www.ddd.dda.dk/kiplink_en.htm

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen

Janice Simpson

Ralph, thanks once more for your information and suggestions.

To be clear for anyone else who may find these posts while searching for this family:

Karen Sofie Hansen was born, baptized and confirmed in Rønnebæk. 
Birth 06 Mar 1863, 1861-1882 Rønnebæk, Ops. 47
Confirmation 08 Apr 1877, 1861-1882 Rønnebæk, Ops 101

Her parents were Pedar Hansen and Else Andersdatter

Among the witnesses to Hans Peter Kristiansen's baptizem, the only name I recognize is Rasmus Hansen of Rønnebæk who was Karen Sofie's brother.

I don't believe that Karen Sofie returned to live in Rønnebæk after Hans Peter's birth.  She may have gone to Førslev because of the pregnancy.  I have no information on how the sponsors named Pedersen fit into the picture.

Janice Simpson

Further research this week shows that I had the wrong Karen Sofie Hansen as the mother of Hans Peter Christensen.  :-\

Corrected information:
Karen Sofie Hansen born 03 Aug 1863, Rønnebæk, Hammer, Præstø; confirmed same place 30 Sep 1877.

Her parents were Hans Jakobsen and Ane Hansdatter.