Jens Christophersen Schmidt

Startet af Cheryl Calbick, 03 Jun 2015 - 01:05

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Cheryl Calbick

I found a listing in Danish Family Search for this person. He is my husband's gr gr grandfather. This is where I found the listing in Churchbooks.  Overview /Tonder /Hviding /Arrild /Churchbooks /Churchbook 1815-1836 Arrild. Jens is the last person on page #9. The birthdate and place match what I have. I understand that the next column would be for the occupation of the father, father's name which is Anders Jensen Smid, mothers maiden name which is Maren Stophersdatter (Christophersdatter) place of residence Arrild. The next column is supposed to be witnesses? There are several names mostly very faded. Is this pretty accurate? A new contact found the marriage record on the same Danish Family Search site. This is the listing: Anders Jensen Smid 46, Maren Christophersdatter 24, married in 1816. I thought because Jens was Anders son he would be Jens Anderssen Smid(Schmidt). Here is something else I read concerning christenings. Witnesses were not parents but relatives like brothers and sisters as they would raise the child if the parents died. If someone could translate the headings on Jen's birth record and decipher the witnesses names, that would clarify a lot. On another note, Jens married Helena Hansen in Skaerbaek, Tonder in 1857. They named their son Bernhardt Mathissen Schmidt. Helena's father's name was Mathias. I think I am placing too much emphasis on naming sons after their fathers. I would appreciate any advice and guidance. I have more on this family when they get to America, if interested. Thank You so much for listening. Cheryl

Eva Morfiadakis

Hi,

The witnesses are Rasmus Johansen, Søren H. Boye? Hans Schmidt, Peder Lausten, Kirsten HansDatter? Christiane NisDatter and Gunder HansDatter in Arrild.

A try, a couple of ?

Eva M
Eva M

Inger Buchard

I read
Kirsten HansDatter? = Kirsten Hans Kone

Your question about ..sen:
Arrild lies in the former Duchy of Schleswig - under Danish reign, but under other laws than the Kingdom. In the Duchy of Schleswig the law that forbid patronymic naming was valid since 1788. What doesn't mean that people didn't use the patronymic names, but mostly they had fixed surnames - at least in official records.
That's why the son of Anders as an honour could be named after his maternal grandfather as a 'middle' name - maybe the maternal grandfather had no male heirs? The surname is Schmidt/Smed - but later you might find him in records with the surname Mathissen, especially if he left the Duchy and presented himself by the name he himself used.

Confusing? yes - but mostly you find the right person.

Inger
Redaktør på DIS-Wiki

Ralph Rasmussen

A detail from the marriage record (Arrild 1815-1836, lookup 'opslag' 56 #6 of 1816:

Anders Jensen Smed i Arrild, 46 Aar gammel. Med formeld Kongel. Bevilling d 23 Juli 1816 til at indtræde i nyt Ægteskab.  i.e. permission to remarry   The circumstances would be spelled out in the permissions records and in a record of the applcations/licenses for marriage.  The latter should be in a record from the parish not as yet posted on the internet.

Stophersen must have been the way it was said locally.  In other contexts Xtophersen is an abbreviation for Christophersen. (χριστ)
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø