Jens Adolf Madsen

Startet af Barbara Bate, 27 Jun 2015 - 16:40

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Barbara Bate

Hello and thanks for having me here...

My husband is half Danish and I have done quite well researching the Danish of his family. However, I have come up against a brick wall with his great-grandfather, Jens Adolf Madsen, and I wonder if one of you kind people can help me?

Jens Adolf Madsen was born on 3 August 1868 in Strølille, Frederiksborg. He moved to Copenhagen about 1885 and married Dorthea Sophie Petersen (1864 - 1943) in 1887. The 1930 census has them living in Frederik VII's Gade in Copenhagen and for several years they worshipped at Skt Stephan or Samuel. Dorthea died in the Kommunehospitalet and rests in the Bispebjerg cemetery.

My husband's Danish mother, Jytte, once said to me that Jens died some years after Dorthea, so I have been searching the Church books for the record, but without luck. I think he may have moved from the apartment to live with one of his sons elsewhere in Copenhagen, but where? My husband (b 1952) doesn't remember him and he was taken to Denmark every year during his childhood, so I'm guessing that Jens died sometime before the early 1950's. It's too late to ask Jytte again, as she has dementia now and cannot even remember her Grandfather was called Jens. Unfortunately, following the death of her mother in 1971, she lost contact with other members of the family and, although my husband must have several cousins in the Copenhagen area, it's not possible to track them online.

Is there an index of deaths which can be accessed by the public, other than the Church record books, without having to go to Denmark (as much as I would love to again)? Would I be able to write to a National Records Office for the date of death, even though his granddaughter is still living?

I should be grateful for any hints or tips you can offer me. Jens is the final piece of my jigsaw and it's driving me mad.

Many thanks...Barbara

John Nielsen

Hello Barbara

The best way are probably "begravelseprotokollerne" burial protocols.
They are online but yet only to 1940.
You could ask for a lookup here: https://www.slaegtogdata.dk/forum/index.php/topic,54213.msg516431.html

That is if he dies a few years after and in Copenhagen.
They are mentioned in "Politiets registerblade" Police registration 1891-1901 with adresses.

Hilsen John Nielsen

Barbara Bate

Hello,

Many thanks for your reply.

I received an email yesterday evening from HJ Mygind to tell me Jens died in Alm. Hospital De Gamles By in 1953 - later than I first thought.

So thank you John and thank you HJ.

Regards, Barbara