seek Danish relatives of Kirk & Corinne Frederick (concert violinist/pianist)--

Startet af Logan Frederick, 12 Jul 2015 - 08:07

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Logan Frederick

Hello--So glad this forum exists. I have run into many deadends trying to find out what happened to Kirk Frederick, my Danish grandfather, born Theodor Aage Frederick. He was born in 1888 in Denmark and came over to the US in 1908. He enjoyed a fairly successful concert career as a concert violinist and conductor of silent movie house orchestras in New York City and later St. Louis, Missouri until the Great Depression hit. We understand that he ended up leaving--at least for a time--his music career and--by the 1930 census----he was listing his employment as auditor with a brokerage house. We think he worked for a time in Washington DC as an auditor. We also know--based on a letter written by a family friend--that he lived with Corinne, his wife, and his son (our father), also Kirk Frederick, until the early 1930's after which he left for Borden, Texas. We don't know what happened to him after that.

We know the names of some of his relatives based upon an old address book that my mom kept that belonged to my dad's mom--Corinne. Kirk (Theodor) Frederick's  father and mother were Peter and Marie Frederiksen who lived in Frederiksborg. Kirk and Corinne met in the US but came to Copenhagen to give birth to my father, Kirk George Wilhelm Frederick, December 21, 1921 and baptized at Simeons Kirke February 26, 1922. His father, my grandfather, is listed on the birth certificate as Konzert Violinist Theodor Aage Frederick married to Corinne Caroline Schroder. We were surprised to discover the "Theodor Aage" on the birth certificate as he was always known as "Kirk". We do not know if Kirk and Corinne got married in the states or Denmark.

We also have a letter written completely in Danish along with birth certificate which was issued to them by the Frederiksberg Kommunes Dyrtidskontor at Howitzvej 26, Stuen. The address book we had states that my father's godmother was Emilie Kroldrup Slotsgade 19 St. 4760 Vordingborg Denmark. I suspect she may have been Kirk (Theodor's) sister. Emilie had a daughter named Eva Orslev who lived at Knudskoving 62 4760 Vordingberg Denmark and would be the most recent Danish relative we know about. (Though--if she were still alive--she would most likely be in her late 80's or 90's).

My efforts to locate Kirk (Theodor) have been complicated by having found--through Ancestry.com and elsewhere--a Danish violinist of some repute whose name was Aage Theodor Fredericks who also went by Kirk and lived in the US around the same time. I don't think it is the same person. This man's musical career is fairly well documented in the local newspapers in the areas he concertized in. There is no mention of his being married to my grandmother--though he was married to another woman--Myra Elizabeth Ake--also a pianist--who performed with him. My grandmother, Corinne, went on to achieve some musical reknown playing with the St. Louis Symphony, the Mexico City Symphony, the San Francisco Symphony and in Edinburgh Scotland. She was a highly sought after chamber music player. So, if her first husband Kirk continued as a successful musician himself--it doesn't make sense that she wouldn't have known about it. (Especially as this other Kirk--or Aage, as he was known as-- regularly appeared in the papers).
Sorry if this is too long. I don't know what would or could be helpful leads in Denmark. My 84 year old mother really wants us to hook up with our Danish relatives as long as she is well enough to travel. Thanks in advance for all of your thoughts or leads. Best, Logan

Bente Wanning

this family??

http://www.familytreenow.com/search/census/results?first=Corinne&last=Frederick&dobyyyy=1898&rid=0s0&smck=Ve1A98tSxTGx96rHj6GA0w

Corinne Frederick
Age   32
Birth Year   1898
Birth Place   Illinois
Gender   Female
Marital Status   Married
Census Year   1930
Census Country   Us
Event County   St. Louis (Independent City)
Event Date   1930
Event Place   St Louis (Districts 1-250), St. Louis (Independent City), Missouri
Event Township   St Louis (Districts 1-250)
Language   English
Father's Birthplace   Illinois
Mother's Birthplace   Illinois
Race   White
Household Role   Wife
Relationship Code   Wife
Household Members
Name   Age   Birth Yr   Role
K A Frederick   38   1892   Head
K A Frederick   8   1922   Son
SOURCE: FAMILYTREENOW.COM. 1930 US CENSUS RECORDS [ONLINE].
ORIGINAL DATA: UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, BUREAU OF THE CENSUS. RECORD GROUP: MISSOURI, FILM NUMBER: 2340976, LINE NUMBER: 90, NARA PUBLICATION NUMBER: T626, NARA MICROFILM ROLL NUMBER: 1241, SHEET LETTER: B, SHEET NUMBER: 2, RECORD NUMBER: 40442.

Census 1940 without hosbond

http://www.familytreenow.com/search/census/results?first=Corinne&last=Frederick&dobyyyy=1898&rid=0sl&smck=Ve1A98tSxTGx96rHj6GA0w

Full Name   Corinne Frederick
Image    View Census Image
Age   42
Birth Year   abt 1898
Birth Place   Illinois
Gender   Female
Marital Status   7
Relation to Head   Head
Census Year   1940
Census Country   Us
Address   5264 A Waterman Ave St Louis City, Mo
Enumeration District   96-642
Event State   Missouri
Event County   St Louis City
Event Place   St Louis City, , Mo
Number of Household   28
Race   W
Incorporated Place   St Louis
Respondent   X
Household Members
Name   Age   Birth Yr   Role
Kirk W Frederick   18   1922   Son
SOURCE: FAMILYTREENOW.COM. 1940 US CENSUS RECORDS [ONLINE].
ORIGINAL DATA: UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, BUREAU OF THE CENSUS. BATCH NAME: M-T0627-02207, SHEET: 1B, LINE NUMBER: 72.
Venlig hilsen
Bente Wanning 
Hjørring amt <Skæve<Voer<Astrup<Åsted sogne
Hals Arkiv 9370
Medlem af DS Danmark -

Logan Frederick

Hi Bente--Thanks so much for your response. Yes, these are the same census records I have of Kirk and Corinne. As you can see, Kirk Sr. (Theodor) is not listed on the 1940 Census. They had separated--and I am trying to discover if he remained in the States or returned to Denmark. Any thoughts or leads are greatly appreciated. Best, Logan

Logan Frederick

Since my initial entry is so long--I thought I would try and be more concise. I am trying to determine what happened to Theodor post-separation from his wife, Corinne (did he remain in the States? Did he return to Denmark?). I would also like to locate any relatives in Denmark. The only actual record I have for my grandfather--Theodor Aage Frederick (or perhaps Frederiksen, which was the name of his father)--is the baptismal record for his son, my father, Kirk W G Frederick that took place in Copenhagen. My grandmother did eventually divorce Kirk (Theodor) in order to re-marry in the States. But I have not found a record of the divorce. Nor do I have a record of their marriage--which might have taken place in Denmark or the US. (I'm not sure how to search the Danish databases because of the language barrier.) My mother believes that the actual divorce didn't occur until years after they had separated. The last record of Theodor and Corinne that I have come across is from the US 1930 census that lists them and their son living in St. Louis Missouri. I also have names of relatives--grandparents and godparents--addresses and phone numbers from back then. Logan

Gitte Johansen

Hi Logan

I have sent an email to Gerda Nielsen.

Hej

Hans søster  Josepha Jørgensen rejste sept. 1894.

Han brors 3 sønner:
Niels Emil Henry Jørgensen rejste maj 1903
Johannes Julius Jørgensen rejste sept. 1908
Carl Joseph Daniel Jørgensen rejste 1917

En anden søsters søn:
Theodor Aage Frederiksen, der som Aage Fredericks blev en berømt musiker i USA, rejste omkring 1900.

mvh Gerda
Venlig hilsen
Gitte Johansen 8520 Lystrup

gittejohansen(snabel a)rocketmail.com

Gitte Johansen

Hej Gitte

Theodor Aage hører ikke til min slægt, men til min veninde Eva, som jeg har lavet noget slægtsforskning for.

Så vidt jeg fandt ud af, så døde Theodor Aage i USA 19/10 1980 - 91 år gammel.

Venlig hilsen
Gerda

Hi Gitte

Theodor Aage does not belong to my family, but my friend Eva , as I have done some genealogy for .

As far as I found out , then Theodor Aage died in USA 19/10 1980,  91 years old.

sincerely
Gerda
Venlig hilsen

Gitte Johansen

They are married in Belleville?? USA

21. January 1921

Baptism

http://www4.sa.dk/ao/billedviser?bsid=155515#155515,25980066

NB "faddere" = Otto Krøldrup + Emilie born Frederiksen + Marie Frederiksen

Born here.

Nr 80

http://www4.sa.dk/ao/billedviser?bsid=155949#155949,26088387
Venlig hilsen

Gitte Johansen

From Gerda

You can use Google translate.

Gerda will contact Eva, and maybe then Eva will contact you.

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]
Venlig hilsen

Gitte Johansen

From Gerda

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]
Venlig hilsen

Gitte Johansen

It is too big.

I have sent it to you by mail.

(Indfødselsret)
Venlig hilsen

Logan Frederick

Hi Gitte--I am overwhelmed and so grateful for your efforts to help me locate our grandfather. Thank you! I am also a bit confused as to a few pieces of information and wonder if you could help clarify.

First, I still wonder if the Aage you are referring to could be the same as our grandfather. I understand that Myra, his first wife, whom he divorced in 1920 lived in the South. My grandmother and Theodor most likely met in the northeast of the USA--New York City, Washington DC--while my grandmother was studying piano. They married in Belleville--my grandmother's home town outside of St. Louis, Missouri--as it states on the baptismal record. As we know, they were married in January 1921 and she gave birth to my father in December of that year. With such a short time line following the divorce of his first wife--and marrying a second he would have had to have met and courted in an entirely other part of the country-- I wonder how this Aage could be one and the same person!

We have a letter from a family friend of my grandmother's sent to my mom after my grandmother--we called her Oma--died in 1980. He recalled spending time with my grandmother, grandfather and my father when they lived in Belleville together. According to this friend, they were together until my father was 9 or 10--a good 10 years. The friend states that my grandfather was having increased difficulty finding work in his field--conducting for movie/ theater houses--because of the advent of the talking pictures. They apparently moved from the East Coast back to the St. Louis/Belleville area where my grandfather found some work with the St. Louis Symphony and the Loew's theater. Eventually, he decided to train in another profession--as an auditor (which is also stated in the 1930 Census in which he is reported to be living with his son and my grandmother in St. Louis. So this Census confirms the duration of their time together). The friend says that he left the family permanently in the early 1930s for a small town--Borden, Texas--and the friend does not know what happened after that.

My understanding from having read the many archived newspaper entries on Aage Fredericks is that he worked consistently--and successfully--as a reknowned violinist in the southern states--North Carolina, and that area. How could he have done that and also had a job as an auditor? Why would there have been no mention of his second wife and son--especially if they lived together for 10 years--in St. Louis! Can you see how I am confused and thinking this might not be the same person?

Thankfully--the one record that you sent to me does clearly document that his godparents were Otto Kruldrup, Emilie Fredericsen and Marie Fredericksen. Do you think there is a way to determine whether they were relatives or friends? Do you think this knowledge could help me to locate some existing relatives?

Thanks again so much for you help. I will look forward to receiving the larger document. Are you sending it by mail? I would be happy to reimburse for postage. It would go to--Logan Frederick 451 Wayne Ave. #2 Oakland, CA 94606. I look forward to staying in touch. Best, Logan

Gitte Johansen

First.

I have send the document by email to ifsworker(snabela)gmail.com??

Second.

Gerda and Eva say, that it is the same man.

I will hope for you, that Eva contacts you, because I am just a messenger ;).

I really don't know much about him.

The parents to this man are Peter og Karen Marie Frederiksen.

Again, I hope, that Eva will contact you.
Venlig hilsen

Gitte Johansen

Karen Marie and Peter Frederiksen had a daughter, named Emilie Dagmar, born in 1892.

She was married to Otto Krøldrup.

They got a daughter, Eva.

Aage is her uncle.

I have sent more on email.

Venlig hilsen

Gitte Johansen

Venlig hilsen

Gitte Johansen

A little bit more from Gerda

U.S., Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File, 1850-2010 about Angus Frederick
Name: Angus Frederick ( Aage ? )
Birth Date: 7 Sep 1889
Death Date: 19 Oct 1980
SSN: 579014144
Branch 1: ARMY
Enlistment Date 1: 13 May 1918
Release Date 1: 13 Dec 1918

North Carolina, Birth Indexes, 1800-2000 about James Theodore Frederick
Name: James Theodore Frederick
Event Type: Birth
Birth Date: 1920
Birth County: Mecklenburg
Parent1 Name: T A Frederick ( Theodor Aage Frederick ? )
Roll Number: NCVR_B_C065_66001
Venlig hilsen

Gitte Johansen

More

I have papers from later in 1920 where he is still giving concerts, so whatever the illness, it wasn't fatal. In fact, here's one from 20 Oct which has him and Miss Schroeder (his next wife) giving a concert in Alvarado, Minn.

This one, also from the Indiana Gazette, on 17 September 1920 mentions "Miss Ake" accompanying him during the Lyceum series. Maybe the end of that relationship had more to do with the cancellation than illness?
Venlig hilsen

Logan Frederick

Great information. Thanks everyone! A couple of questions--Gitte I would love to see the two articles you refer to in your last entry--especially the one featuring Aage and Miss Schroeder. I did not see any links or attachments. Did I miss something? Mr. Bentsen--thank you for your contributions and links. I was not able to open the first link. Would you mind rechecking it?

I think seeing the article on Aage and Miss Schroeder will really enable me--in my head--to start putting these two together. (Would, of course, be great to have photos). Mr. Fredericks seems to have been quite the ladies man! With a preference for female accompanists......:)

Verner Bentsen

Hi Logan.

Sorry, but my first link can only be opened by members and it's also in Danish.
Maybe Gitte and others can find useful informations.

Verner

Gitte Johansen

Venlig hilsen

Gerda Nielsen

Hi
Do you know ?:

On 29 May 1918 Myra end Aage married in New Orleans and they got in 1920 a son, James Theodore. Shortly after the boy's birth was Aage and Myra divorced and she took the boy into a new marriage with William Ivy Rankin, after which the boy got surname Rankin.
William Rankin said consistently that James was his son and Myra forbade James ever to contakt his biological father.
James died 89 year old.

Gerda

Logan Frederick

Hi Gerda--Yes, I did know about Myra remarrying William Ivy Rankin from the Rankin's family tree posted on Ancestry.com. Did not know about Myra forbidding the son James to be in touch with his father, Aage. Would be interested to know how you discovered that information? Best, Logan

Logan Frederick

Gerda--Thank you so much for the pictures via the University of Iowa archives. Especially the ones of my grandmother and her sister. Those have special meaning for me and my family. Thank you so much. Logan

Logan Frederick

Hi--Thanks to all who have helped me determine who my grandfather Theodor Aage was. It would have taken me forever to try and do on my own. I am now well-positioned for the next leg of the journey--to determine where he ended up after he and my grandmother split in the early 1930's. Wish me luck! Best, Logan

Gerda Nielsen

Hi Logan

I tried to send you an email with death certificates for Kirk Frederick and his last wife, but it came back.

I send to ifsworker@gmail.com  what is your real email address ?

Gerda

Verner Bentsen

Hej Gerda.

Tryk på konvolutten ved Logans navn, så får du den rigtige adresse.

Jeg tror der står lfs og ikke ifs

Verner