Peder Wass/Hvass

Startet af Kathleen Sanberg, 04 Sep 2015 - 02:13

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Kathleen Sanberg

I wanted to put this information on the blog as the have been several posts about Peder Wass.I have just gathered this information, thanks to a genealogist in Europe.

My ancestor was Peder Wass or Hvass. His father was Laurits Hvass or Hvas or Wass.  The church and other records show him as all three.

Laurits Hvass/Wass (1723-1770) was married to Agatha Termansdatter:

Peder Wass/Hvass (1745-1814) m. Charlotte Adrian:

Terman Christian Wass (Hvas or Hvass after he went to Kolding from Nielsbygaard) (1781-1852)
                           m. Charlotte Boysen:

Peter Carl Christian Hvass (1806-1861) m. Catharine Carsten:

Carl Ernst Hvass (1853-1932) he changed his name to Charles Thomas after emigrating to the U.S. In 1871. m. Dorothea (Dora Hansen):

Charles Thomas Hvass (1889-1953). This last Charles Hvass was my grandfather.

There was a post that said that Peder Wass could not be from the old family "Hvass" because it was always spelled "Wass" even though he had a signet ring with the old Hvass crest.  I am seeking information about any relationship to the Hvass family because the church and other records show Laurits or Laurids as Hvass or Hvas.  I can't find information about Laurits/Laurids or his ancestors.  Any help is welcome! Thank you.

Regelsen

Hej

Student fra Kolding skole 1798:

Isak Lassenius Wass fik 14.03.1781 en tidligere dåb bekræftet i Føvling kirke. ( Søn af Peter Wass,
født ca. 1744, købmand i København før 1778, ejer af hovedgården Nielbygård i Føvling sogn 1778-
1793, død 02.04.1814 i Kolding, & Charlotte Justine Adrian, født ca. 1750, død 03.10.1816 i Kolding).

I.L.W. blev konfimeret 02.10.1796 i Kolding, kom senere på kadetskole i København, var 3-4 år
andenstyrmand på den kongelige skonnert "Aarvaagenheden" og døde ved Kap det gode Håb. Ugift.

F.Hvass: Samlinger af Meddelelser om Personer og Familier af Navnet Hvas V (1890), side 327.
O. Nielsen: Historiske Efterretninger om Malt Herred (1870, genoptrykt 1976), side 116.
Trap Danmark IX (1965) side 980.
Venlig hilsen
regelsen

Kathleen Sanberg

Thank you for your reply.  My confusion may be with the Danish language. Laurids or Laurits Hvas is written as "Hvas," "Hvass," or "Wass" in the Danish Demographic Database.

Does anyone have any information on Laurits/Larids ?  I am also loking for information on the family of Catharine Carsten and Peter Carl Christian Hvass? There were twin daughters Louise Catherine and Catherine Louise born in 1857 and Hans born in 1849. My difficulty is that they were born and lived in Flensburg durng the time it becamepart of Germany.

(I wish I spoke Danish!)
Kathy

Cay-Erik Geipel

The "Bürgerbuch der Stadt Flensburg" mentiones Peter Carl Christian Hwass (Hvaß) as number 11948. He is from Kolding (Denmark) and an innkeeper. He became a citizen in Flensburg 4. july 1855 and payed fees of 16 Rheichstaler and 45 Schilling.
In the census 1855 he lives on the adress: Im Roten Tor house number 647 and was 48 years old at that time (so is is born about 1806-1807).
His babtism is here (Kolding Sct. Nikolai):

http://ao.salldata.dk/vis.php?bsid=165632&side=116&kb=Kirkebog:%20Vejle,%20Brusk,%20Kolding%20-%20Sankt%20Nikolaj%201774-1815%20FVD%20(EM)&height=909

It says Petter Carl Christian was born 21. june 1806 and babtismed 3. august in Kolding Skt. Nicolai
His parents were Terman Christian Vass and Charlotte Fried. ? nee Boisen.
Testes:
Childs mother
Maid Agatha Vass
Mr. Petter Vass
Major Thulling ?
Childs father

In the second parish register his name is Peder Carl Christian and his fathers profession is "Kiøbmand" (merchant). The name is written "Hass or Hvass" in this entry.

http://ao.salldata.dk/vis.php?bsid=165631&side=143&kb=Kirkebog:%20Vejle,%20Brusk,%20Kolding%20-%20Sankt%20Nikolaj%201751-1815%20FKVD%20(EM)&height=909

I found the name Hvass back in the census 1787 and 1801 so it seems the family lived here for longer time. Maybe others can help now.

I am at the archive in Flensburg shortly and will try to find more about him.
Venlig hilsen
Cay-Erik Geipel
geipel49@online.de

Cay-Erik Geipel

Hi Kathleen

now i found some information regarding Peder Carl Christian Hvaß. He died 3. july 1861 in Flensburg (buried 5. july) and left behind following children: 1)  Hans Christian 2) Termann Christian 3) Carl Christian 4) Catharine Louise and 5) Louise Catharine. He died in an age of 55 years. His parents were Peter Carl Christian Hvass (must be a mistake but the parish entry says so) in Haderslev (Denmark) and deceased Charlotte Sabine Caroline nee Boysen. He was married with Catharina Maria Jakobina nee Carstens. She was born in Rendsburg nowadays Germany. As i didn´t find their wedding in Flensburg i think it must have been there or in Haderslev.
The obove mentioned children were born (all in Flensburg source census 1855) 1) Hans 1849, 2) Termann 1851, 3) Carl 1853. Catharine and Louise must have been born after 1855.
His wife Catharina Maria Jakobina nee Carstens was born in Rendsburg 1820 as she was 82 years old when she died 28. january 1902. Daughter and mother lived in the street Hafendamm number 32. Parents of Catharina were Hans Carstens and Anna nee Hollig, both deceased.
As all the children were born in Flensburg Peder Carl Christian Hvass (Hvaß) must have come to Flensburg prior to 1849.
If you want to i can scan in the documents and send them via mail.
Venlig hilsen
Cay-Erik Geipel
geipel49@online.de

Kathleen Sanberg

Very interesting. I think the girls stayed in Flensburg and at least two of the sons came to the U.S.   I would appreciate copies of any documents.