Need help to transcribe and translate birth record of Jens Christian Hansen

Startet af Claudio Lindquist, 04 Sep 2015 - 02:18

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Claudio Lindquist

Hello,

This is my first post to this forum and I hope someone could help me to transcribe and translate the birth/baptism record of my danish great-great-grand-father Jens Christian Hansen.

I've found two records for his birth/baptism:

https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/billedviser?epid=17224792#206070,39114917 (first record on page 44/373)

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1961-33540-7699-63?cc=2078555&wc=M5KN-2JV:357518001,359680601,359680602,359680603 (last record on page 36/379)

This is what I have understood so far: Jens Christian Hansen was born on April 28th 1868 and was baptized on June 21st 1868 in the Søllested church. He was the son of Hans Henriksen and Ulrikke Rasmusdatter (42 years old).

Thank you in advance!

Claudio Lindquist

Ralph Rasmussen

Transcription, this time ignoring the line breaks:

Nr 7 28 April Jens Christian Hansen, d 21 Juni 1868 i Kirken
Inds[idder] Hans Hansen og Hustru Ulrike Rasmusdatter 42 Aar ved Søllestedgaard
Gudmoderen Tjenestepige Thrine? Nielsen, Skodsbølle, Fadd[erne] Lars Peder Hansen tjenner i Torpe, Martin NielsenBaadergaards i Kohave og Pigen Maren Kirstine Hansen t[jennende] i Halsted

Translation:

Number 7 28 April [born] Jens Christian Hansen 21 June [baptized] at the church
[parents] Lodger Hans Hansen and his wife Ulrike Rasmusdatter [age] 42 years  [living] at Søllested 'gaard' [farm]
[witnesses/sponsors] Godmother servant Thrine? Nielsen. Skodsbølle, Lars Peder Hansen employed at Torpe, Martin Nielsen Baadergaard in Kohave and miss Maren Kirstine Hansen employed in Halsted [indexed page] 384

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Claudio Lindquist

Hi Ralph,

Thank you for the quick answer! I'll analyse your transcription and translation at home and I'll get back if I need further help.

Best regards,
Claudio

Claudio Lindquist

Hello Ralph,

It seems to me that his father's surname is Hendriksen (1st link) or Henriksen (2nd link).

Best regards,
Claudio

Ralph Rasmussen

Big typo on my part.  It surely wasn't that hard to read. 

D after n sometimes comes and goes in older Danish, for example kan vs. kand.

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen

Claudio Lindquist

Thank you for the explanation on the missing "d" in his father's surname. Any insight on the meaning of the words "Skodsbølle" and "Baadergaard"?

Ralph Rasmussen

The origin and original form of many place names is lost in history.  Local histories and Trap Danmark often trace back to the earliest mention of the place names in Mediaeval records.  In other cases the name is of more recent origin and based on folk etymology.

The literal translation of the present form of those two place names is actually beyond me.

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen

Claudio Lindquist

Sorry, I didn't realize that these words were place names... Thank you for your precious help!